make my life easier.....

proud indian · 7512

Offline proud indian

on: November 01, 2012, 04:58:23 AM
Ok. The SEX amp and the quickie are making music in my room. As things settle down, I am looking at threads relating to upgrades. As I am in India, buying the stuff in one shot helps in shipping etc. So can you help me with....

1. which cap brand should I use on the quickie? ( I like a warm sound with a good stage)

2) Which pot would you suggest ( for both, the SEX and the quickie)

My SEX amp is running with OIMP V Caps that I had lying around. I am aware that there are a lot of expensive stuff around, but I would like something reasonable, even though I am not on a budget.

Thanks

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:51 AM
Have you done the PJCCS?

If not - do that first. 

Kevin R-M

Offline proud indian

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:09:42 AM
Done. Bought it with the kit.

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline coca

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:29:19 AM
You are already using an excellent cap. It does take a long time to burn in though. I believe you can inprove things by bypassing it with a 0.1 V cap copper or original one. A second choice I recomend would be a Mundorf silver and oil cap with no bypass.

Bernie.

Offline proud indian

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:47 AM
Thanks Bernie, but the Vcap is in the SEX and not on the quickie. Need one for the quickie.

Offline coca

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:39:57 AM
I would go with the mundorf.

Bernie.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:44:38 AM
welcome shreekant! - where in India do you live? I have been to India. Curious if I have been to your area. -

There are quite a few posts on Quickie mods etc. If you have V-caps, it sounds like you know what you are doing! Pricey stuff.

I completely modded the Quickie. Tants for resistors, mostly Mundorf caps - replaced the electrolytic with film. TKD pot. Only limited by your pocketbook and your sanity! I would be curious to know how a V-cap modded Quickie would sound. Take a $99 kit and put $1K worth of parts in it. Sure why not!

IMO you should also try not only the PJCCS, but also the choke option. I personally like the chokes in my system. Tubey!

cheers - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline proud indian

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:21 AM
Thanks!!!

Offline proud indian

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:58:01 AM
Hi Eric,
You slipped in between Bernie and me unnoticed.......the thanks was for him, in case you were wondering if that is the place I live in India :o
I am in Chennai ( new name for Madras) on the south east cost. Just had a strom pass by yesterday at 100Km and the cops looked the other way.
Which part of India did you visit?
I was looking at the TKD option, and now that you mentioned it, think Iwill  go with it.
Yes I have a Decware amp which also has the teflon V cap, which drives my Lowthers. So many caps, so little time!!!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:59:37 AM by proud indian »

Offline proud indian

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:04:46 AM
Eric, can you lead me on the choke option? I am unaware about it.

Thanks

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:04 AM
Hey shreekant - Yes I have been to Madras. Was there for a Yoga pilgrimage to Haridwar in the 1986. Quite a trip!

Yes, agreed, so many caps so little time! I'm kind of a cap freak myself. Cap experiments with my MMG crossover have the been the most interesting.

For the choke - here is where you can order one.
http://angela.com/hammondchoke156c.aspx

I dont know, some debate here on PJCCS vs. choke. For me, the PJCCS 'cleans' things up a bit too much. My system can tend to be a bit on the sterile side. SS amp, lots of silver wire. JPS labs wire tend to show it all. YMMV on that one.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline proud indian

Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:42 AM
Thats great....let me know if you are passing by again......my other hobby, which goes with music very well is sipping single malts....improves the soundstage.
Silver wire is a pain. For years I had it in almost everywhere, until I learnt that it does not burn in unless you use a cooker. I have moved quite a bit to copper, and I find it to be better. Most of the "lean" stuff about sillver is lack of burn in which tends to up the mids, which many feel sound better. Silver with teflon....you may have to be born again before it settles in.

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53:19 AM
hi there,  i know you from another forum.  it's better here, isn't it?  don

Offline proud indian

Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:51 AM
Hi Don,

over 40 views in a short time, that too early in the morning. Makes me feel that audiophiles never sleep!!! Yes it is fun here, though I have been traveling and hence have not posted much.
BTW, I am in Dubai next week. does anybody have an idea of diy audio shopping there.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:52 AM
Thats great....let me know if you are passing by again......my other hobby, which goes with music very well is sipping single malts....improves the soundstage.
Silver wire is a pain. For years I had it in almost everywhere, until I learnt that it does not burn in unless you use a cooker. I have moved quite a bit to copper, and I find it to be better. Most of the "lean" stuff about sillver is lack of burn in which tends to up the mids, which many feel sound better. Silver with teflon....you may have to be born again before it settles in.

+1 on the single malt! - I'm also a home brewer myself. Kind of got away from it, the home brewing that is, still drinking like a fish!

I know the arguments for and against silver. In my comparisons with interconnects, now I'm talking about affordable stuff here, I prefer good silver to good copper, but above them both, I like the aluminum alloy that JPS makes. What i noticed with back to back comparisons is that copper lends a 'bigger' and 'plumper' sound than silver, but with the side effect of some additional 'smear'. That smear gets worse at higher volumes. I can hear cap differences much better with silver in the stream. So, I tune accordingly. The JPS alloy has the best of both IMO. It's like the wire is air.

Fun stuff! - Enjoy Dubai

Eric