make my life easier.....

proud indian · 7513

Offline proud indian

Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:24 AM
Agreed. Yes silver does have it plus points, but I think I just got tired of the break in. Simple test... take a silver plated copper power cord and use one with just copper, with the same break in time. You will be in for a shock. But I guess ir takes different systems, cause I have only used single drivers, so I may be wrong it making statements. Just my views.

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:15 AM
I agree with your impression of the silver coated copper. I have a couple of those. Dont like them. Again, I'm talking about mere mortal stock. I understand the concept of silver coated copper to deal with skin effect, but I dont think it works, at least not to the ear.

Another thing I think I have discovered is that I like solid core over stranded. Also single strand over multi strand. I think thats were pure silver can out perform copper. In solid core single stranded cord.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:06 AM
I agree with your impression of the silver coated copper. I have a couple of those. Dont like them. Again, I'm talking about mere mortal stock. I understand the concept of silver coated copper to deal with skin effect, but I dont think it works, at least not to the ear.

Another thing I think I have discovered is that I like solid core over stranded. Also single strand over multi strand. I think thats were pure silver can out perform copper. In solid core single stranded cord.

Actually silver plated copper wire was developed because Teflon refused to uniformly coat plain copper wire during manufacture. The silver was necessary to ease manufacturing.   Teflon was needed for the high heat resistance rating.  The "audiophile" benefits were simply serendipity.  The long burn in is due to the Teflon, not the silver.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:35:08 AM
But what are we really buying? I have purchased plated items before, whether silver gold or whatnot. When it arrived, it was lies, all lies. some kind of yellow metal over aluminum. I know that quality products make the difference here, and in important cases, I will use only those before I decide that offer superior sound or not.

Offline proud indian

Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 06:51:38 AM
There is a cord called the asylum DIY cord made by Bob Crump. If you check the wire, it is PVC ( a no no with audiophiles) and copper. It is cheap to make. If you open up the wire you will find it has some jute kind of rope in the mix. This wire when properly burnt in is a stunner.
For long I tried the Flavours of VH audio, till I gave up. Try plugging in one of the cords into your CDP and burn it in for the hours he says ( 70,100 or 200) you will never get there. The draw on a CDP is too small for a big wire like that.
So what was happening was that my system always sounded lean or a bit harsh. Then began the merry go round.....the cords are great right? it is spoken on the AA like crazy. So CDP was changed, DAC was bought etc etc.
Then a small gadget like the frybaby came into my life and that is when I realized the amount of money spent on cords.
Now life is simple. I go for sound not for how expensive it is or the reviews. If it sounds good, keep it.
There is a company on ebay called VA labs. He has rodium plated posts and RCA. Dont know if it the real stuff, but the finish it great and it sound fantastic.....so it is in my system. Stepped attenuator, binding post and RCA for my IC's. He is decent, cause he charges for a set of 4 so that you can make a pair and do not need to calculate how you are getting ripped off!!!

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:24 AM
But what are we really buying? ...

I buy mil spec from reputable dealers.  Not an "iron clad" guarantee of construction veracity, but likely as close as one can get.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 07:15:51 AM
When it comes to wire discussions, I take the view that everyone is right! That comes from the basic audio belief that 'everything makes a difference'.

Now, as to what separates good vs. bad differences is debatable, and often system dependent.

One thing for sure, is that any audiophile, except for the 'flat earth' types, will admit that differences in wire exist. Its irrelevant whether the differences are in 'our head', or something that can actually be measured. Either way, we live in our head!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline proud indian

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 07:26:02 AM
Yes we do. But we also read and  feel that the problem that we have ( may not actually) might have a solution in what  someone else is talking about.
That person does not even know that you have a problem!!!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 07:57:10 AM
Shreekant,

For a relatively painless way to breakin capacitors look at reply #1, second post, in this thread:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,80.msg286.html#msg286

For breaking in a cable I would put barrel connectors and RCA plugs with a 5k ohm resistor from hot to shield.  That gives CD players a 5k ohm load to play into and draws as much current as safely possible.  Just producing a voltage between the hot and shield is not as effective.

Although it is no longer in my signature, I used to have this quote, "You are the only one who needs to be satisfied with the sound of your system."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:01:17 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline proud indian

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 08:08:37 AM
Although it is no longer in my signature, I used to have this quote, "You are the only one who needs to be satisfied with the sound of your system."

well said.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:14 AM
Yes we do. But we also read and  feel that the problem that we have ( may not actually) might have a solution in what  someone else is talking about.
That person does not even know that you have a problem!!!

Very true! I find it much easier to understand a persons problem when they describe what it is about the sound that they dont like. I think most, if not all of us 'audiophiles' understand descriptions like 'harsh, fatiguing highs', 'muddy bass', 'uninvolved sound', 'toe tapping prat', 'skinny shallow sound', 'narrow soundstage' etc. Some of these descriptions become cliche though, such as 'analog sound'.

Sharing our problems is what makes this hobby fun and challenging. Humility is important, or we tend to turn each other off! :)

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:56 AM
My suggestion on warm sounding good soundstage capacitors is the Obbligato (Black) Film/Oil capacitors.  The smallest value available is 2.0uF.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:58:59 AM
I was wondering how those black ones sound! - I might have to grab a few!

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:36 PM
They are insanely cheap for the sound.  A poster on the old board turned me on to them when I needed a 10uF 600V cap for the Parafeed cap in my Paramours.  I was about to upgrade the iron.

One day I will remember the guy who told me about them.

Offline Chris

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 07:30:50 AM
"When it comes to wire discussions, I take the view that everyone is right! That comes from the basic audio belief that 'everything makes a difference".

Well said along with Graingers statement.... Both seem to be this forums creed.. and that is why this forum is the best out there.....