Quickie as tube buffer...hum

earwaxxer · 6094

4krow

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:50 PM
Wait a minute  wate a minite wade a mininight, The quickie as a buffer? could it get closer to that just by changing to a tube with less gain?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:31 PM
Hey Greg! - I wondered how long it would take for you to chime in! A 'buffer' is not much different than a preamp. Take the volume control out. Or, were you more interested in my new years eve 'escapades'?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:55 PM
All I gotta do iz read the front page iffn I wan't ta knoe yer beeswax.

Now, I think that a buffer will have zero gain as opposed to a pre-amp. I still put volume controls on mine to fine tune the input going to my integrated amp. Sure, it adds cicuitry, but even so I like the results.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:38 AM
Greg,

Have you tried just jumpering out the volume control on the integrated and using it as a straight power amp with the quickie in front of it?  May be worth a try.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:17 AM
ok true - I guess a preamp and a buffer are different in that a pre has gain, but they both, ideally, 'improve' the sound. Its amazing to me how many ways there are to do thing. With digital, even more possibilities.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:30:30 AM
Jim, I have tried that, but because the sensitivity of my integrated is quite high, I use the volume control on the buffer to adjust input gain if you will. This allows me to have a greater degree of rotation on my amp's volume control. I know, I could have adjusted that within the integrated itself, but this was is more adjustable and immediate..

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 09:09:28 AM
Every added component degrades the fidelity.  Pots are some of the worst offenders.  Have you considered reducing the sensitivity of the Quickie or integrated amp with high quality resistors?  A pot is just a variable resistor.  Cheap pots are more expensive than good resistors. Every pot eliminated is, generally, a good thing. Just measure the Quickie's or the integrated amp's pot resistance at the desired level and replace with similar value high quality discrete resistors.

Extraneous pots would be like adding soda pop to a barrel strength single malt instead of a splash of pure water!!!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 10:11:46 AM
I like soda pop, and so I am sticking with this arrangement....for now. I have beat the OCD gene into submission. " walk away very slowly, and don't turn your back"

Offline proud indian

Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:02 AM

Extraneous pots would be like adding soda pop to a barrel strength single malt instead of a splash of pure water!!!!

Cheers,
Geary

Well, I got one better. There was this guy at a party who insisted on having Glenlivet with tonic water!!! Maybe he thought it was Gin. :o :o :o

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 04:26:25 AM
'A pot in your hand, is worth two in you Scotch'....

Eric

4krow

Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:34 AM
Ok, back to topic. Quickie as a buffer. I'm hard headed when it comes leaving the volume control in the Quickie, but I am asking how might it be possible to lower the gain of the Quickie.

Offline underdawg

Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:21 AM
I would think the easiest from electronics perspective is add a resistor at the rca out or in to step the gain down.You can try input if you device is 2 plus volts otherwise put on the rca outs. Just my 2 cents. 8)

4krow

Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:11:03 PM
No doubt, adding a resistor to the input would do the trick, but I am thinking there is a way to decrease the gain of the circuit itself, perhaps adjusting filament voltage? I don't know

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 12:30:33 PM
The gain of the tube is set by its internal geometry. You can however load it down - the stock plate resistor drops the gain 6dB from a very high load (PJCCS or plate choke). Using an even smaller plate resistor than the stock 4K would do the following:

1) increase distortion

2) reduce peak output voltage

3) reduce gain

4) reduce output impedance

5) increase plate current (i.e. reduce battery life)

The distortion and plate current effects are not large, so there's no real reason not to try them. The peak output will go down with the gain, so it's probably not an issue either - if you want very low gain, you probably don't need very much output! Worst case you'll have to restore the original configuration.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 04:54:31 AM
Paul, THAT was the question I was trying to ask, thank you. I just don't have enough knowledge to know how to phrase my questions sometimes. I will consider using your answer when the new Q 1.1 arrives. Thanks