what if I wanted to add a third input to my Quickie...

denti alligator · 6287

Offline denti alligator

...would the simplest way be to add another set of RCA plugs and a second toggle switch.

how would I wire this? and what would the easiest way be to install these into the chassis? drill sizes?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:59:28 AM
I would get a 3 way or even 4 way switch and do it that way. If you got a 4 way you could later add 4 inputs, or even do it from the get go. Adding a second switch would be too many switches in audio path IMO.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:37 AM
Simplest is to get an input switch with all the RCA jacks installed at Radio Shack.  Dan has often suggested this.  Otherwise you might use a DPDT toggle switch to change between inputs 2 & 3.  That would feed the stock switch.

Eric's suggestion above is a better way to do it.  It looks better too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:29:11 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:49:54 AM
On the older Quickie, you could replace the toggle with a 2P3T toggle, though they can be a little unusual to wire.

On the new Quickie, you would most likely have to go to a double deck rotary switch, or find a single deck that is 4P4T.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rif

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:15:07 PM
On the new quickie, couldn't you remove the d-cell battery control from the rotary, use the rotary in a typical 3 way fashion, and control the d-cells with a dpdt? This gives a traditional on/off switch and 3 way rotary input selector right?

-david

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:04:30 PM
Old Quickie here. Any particular 2P3T switch to recommend? What would the wiring look like? Straightforward, no?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:26:24 AM
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/M2044SS1W01-BE-RO/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XP93sFwtDpTaZ1OHH5C0U5Y%3d

This one would probably work.  It can be somewhat difficult at times to tell if a toggle switch has a momentary position on it or not.

You'll have to analyze the datasheet and pay careful attention to the "external connection" reference therein.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:02:48 PM
I'm also wanting to add another input. OP how did you end up sorting this out? Pictures and guidance appreciated!

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:04:34 PM
Ultimately, the submissive will be the most convenient way of accomplishing this.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:13 AM
Would rif's recommend above not work? Trying to keep the cost down.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
Yes, that is also an option.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 06:43:46 PM
Alright guys, take mercy on me. Just got the quickie in the mail tonight (so excited!), and I'm looking at the schematics trying to figure out how to add in a DPDT on/off toggle and rewire the 4p3t as a source selector for 3 sources. This is my first big project and I don't want to screw it up, so I have a couple of questions.
  • Can I just splice the DPDT on/off into the black leads from the D cells before they go to the terminal strips? I just happened to be by a RadioShack the other day and picked this up (http://goo.gl/rOaSWR) will it fit the bill?
  • I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to wire the switch for use as a three source selector. I'm thinking that the signal wire from the third RCA will go to terminals 1&4 and that terminals  7/8/9 and 10/11/12 will be daisy chained together? Am I on the right track? If not could someone draw me a map or at least point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance, your help is always appreciated.

Witold
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:26:01 AM by WK3K »

Witold

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:38 AM
This is my first big project and I don't want to screw it up, so I have a couple of questions.

Hmm, there is something really important to consider here.  If you run into trouble with your Quickie after you've redesigned it, we will have a very hard time helping you. 

It wouldn't be impossible to just build it stock, get it working correctly, then perform these modifications.  You'll just need a little extra wire.  (Which you probably need anyway)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 02:07:26 PM
Prudence is the better part of valor. Stock build it is, mods later. Just out of curiosity, and because this whole thing is a learning experience, did I at least have the switch configuration correct?

Thanks!

W.

Witold

Offline WK3K

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:29 AM
Alright y'all, after building the stock quickie and adding the PJCCS (very happy with it!), I've gone ahead and tried to add a third input to the quickie. I built a little GrubDAC and wired it in for the third input, but I'm not getting any sound from that input (other two are working great). The DAC LED lights up and my computer recognizes it, but I get zero sound when I switch to that channel.

I'm not sure if the problem is in the DAC or in how I wired it in. I connected the output grounds to the grounds on the RCA plugs, then added little jumpers between rotary terminals 7&8 and 10&11. I ran the right and left channels to terminals 1 and 4 on the rotary, respectively. I added a simple DPDT switch between the D-cells and rotary to give the amp an on/off. I've attached some pictures here, maybe someone can set me straight if I've bungled things.

I ran resistance checks and I'm getting 1.5K at rotary terminals 7-12, instead of ~1.07k, I still get infinite at rotary terminals 1-6. Batteries were in, but amp was switched off.

I figured I'd start here and work my way back to the DAC, since I kinda winged this part... :)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Witold

Witold