JJ 2a3Tubes

M42 · 5581

Offline M42

on: March 30, 2014, 11:17:51 AM
I am considering a pair of JJ 2A3-40 tubes for my Stereomour. From what I have read they provide better dynamics and soundstage than most others, and possibly some additional gain. I'm wondering if any forum members have auditioned these tubes and what your thoughts are about them.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

Offline Daikini

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:38:31 PM
They seemed to me to be an improvement over the stock Sovteks. Beyond that, I can't say; I haven't tried any other flavors of 2A3.

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline RickS

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:09 AM
Jeff - if you search the forum for JJ 2A3 you'll find a number of forum members using JJ 2A3-40 tubes.  I don't think any of those threads included a negative opinion.  Based on other's experience and especially those using Blumenstein Orcas, I bought them a few months ago from Eurotubes and couldn't be happier.  Besides the fantastic detail and sound stage, they are also dead quiet.  They are taller than the Sovtek tubes though so if in a rack with something above them I'd give them 3" which means you'll need about 12.5" between shelves.  In my set-up that makes the shelf above just slightly warm.

Hope that helps.

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2 w/ AT95SH cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:41:58 PM
I have a pair of the JJ 2a3 tubes and definitely enjoy what I hear with my Orca's.  I've not done a proper comparison between the Sovtek tubes but I would like to get around to doing so soon. 

Offline rlyach

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:26:24 PM
I am not what you would call a die-hard audiophile, but I have to say I like the JJs over the Sovteks. I also have a pair of EH Gold and a pair of Shuguangs. I have found that my listening experience is dependent on a lot of factors, including source, speakers, and room acoustics. I am driving a pair of Orcas and a Dungeness Sub with my Stereomour. I am using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 through a toslink cable from an apple airport express. Additionally, I find that the driver tube I use is different depending on which power tube I have. I prefer an NOS Mullard when driving the JJs. The stock RCA 12AT7 is a better match with the Sovteks. I also find that since the JJs are rated at 40 watts, the system seems to have a little more headroom. I find this same principle applies in my 300B amp as well. I am using a pair of KR audio 300Bs which are rated at 50 watts instead of the standard 40. In summary, the JJs are great tubes for the price, and they should last a long time given their 40 watt rating.

Randy Yach

Offline BNAL

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:56 AM
I just got the JJ 2A3-40s for my Paramounts, but have not had a chance to sit and do any real listening. I purchased them based on the positive reviews I read on the forum and internet. Once they have a few more hours on them I will post my impressions.

the 2A3-40s are replacing Shuguang 2A3Cs I had in the amps for many years.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:06 PM
I have to play with some 12AT7 variants to see which I enjoy paired with the JJ 2A3.  Right now I have a Telefunken 12AT7, but I will be on the look out for others which work well in the setup.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 05:23:01 PM
I don't mean to throw a wrench in the works, and maybe I've been living in a cave, but I just noticed that there are now Genalex Gold Lion reissues (or least, branded) of the 2a3 and 300b. I haven't seen any real reviews on them yet and don't know their specs but they appear to be of substantial build quality and also seem reasonably priced. Keeping my fingers crossed that these came from the same "molds" and that the 2a3 is also a 40-watter -- as it would be nice for me to have another choice for a 2.5v 300b type tube.

I still very much like the JJ 2a3-40 and stand by my recommendation of them.

Brad, can't wait to hear what you think after you have some time on them.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:43 PM
Thanks for the head's up Jim.  Can you point me to a site that sells the Gold Lion 2a3 tubes?  If the price is right I might pick up a pair to compare against my JJ 2a3.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:50 PM
Hi Tom,

I think thetubestore sells them -- I just did a google search but most of the sites seemed to be in Oz and I don't want to pay for shipping from there. Tube depot may also sell them -- I can't remember them all now, but it looks to be a fairly new tube so probably not a lot of folks are carrying them yet.

HTH,,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 04:23:28 PM
Eurotubes, online, physically in Oregon!  IMO, the BEST place to buy JJ tubes.  Great people...properly tested tubes!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
Geary,

I think that he was asking about the GEC tubes. And yes, eurottubes is *the* place to get the JJs.

I found a couple places in the US that sell the GECs )audiotubes.net?) but my browser flakes out when it hits the specifications link so I can't see the specs. Was able to download a pdf but it was a picture of text, not actual text. So, if any of you happen to be looking at these and find the specs for the 2a3, I'd really like to know if it is a 40 watt tube that will run in a 2.5v 300b paramount.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline dth31

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 04:28:46 AM
Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) also sells the JJ-2A3-40.  I've bought other tubes and stuff from them and always received good service.

Dave

Offline drewh1

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 04:32:47 AM
Just wanted to add another endorsement for the JJ tubes.  I have had my Stereomour for more than a year and put the JJ's in shortly after I received it.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a problem with my goldpoint volume control and in the process of repairing it, messed up one of my tube sockets inserting a tube incorrectly.

Anyway, I ended up putting the Sovteks in and did not like the sound. Just did not sound right, very lean and a bit on the bright side of things.  After fixing things and going back to the JJ's, I had a big sigh of relief. Back to the sound I love.  This experience convinced me of the improvement in sound far more than any "side by side" comparison could have.  Oh, FYI, I am also running an NOS Telefunken driver tube.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 06:57:41 AM
Just wanted to add another endorsement for the JJ tubes.  I have had my Stereomour for more than a year and put the JJ's in shortly after I received it.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a problem with my goldpoint volume control and in the process of repairing it, messed up one of my tube sockets inserting a tube incorrectly.

Anyway, I ended up putting the Sovteks in and did not like the sound. Just did not sound right, very lean and a bit on the bright side of things.  After fixing things and going back to the JJ's, I had a big sigh of relief. Back to the sound I love.  This experience convinced me of the improvement in sound far more than any "side by side" comparison could have.  Oh, FYI, I am also running an NOS Telefunken driver tube.

I too am running the JJ 2A3 with a NOS Telefunken 12AT7 and really enjoy the sound.  Very clean and smooth making for a very pleasurable listening experience with my Orca's in a near field listening setup.