Paramount issue

shelby1420 · 4432

Offline shelby1420

on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:37 AM
Hey all, just started getting a problem with one of my amps. I am getting a rolling like static fluctuating and constant that is directly affected by volume ( no volume no static, turn the volume up and the static goes up)  I have swapped driver and power tubes as well as cables, and determined for sure it is in the amp, where do I start??

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:03 AM
If it goes up and down with the volume setting it seems the noise would be coming from a component ahead of the volume control.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:55 AM
If it goes up and down with the volume setting it seems the noise would be coming from a component ahead of the volume control.

Hey Doc, mind is mush right now, what does this mean?

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:37:39 AM
If that static goes away when the volume is turned down, and goes up when the volume control turned up it stands to reason that the noise is coming from a component that is ahead of the volume control.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:40:42 AM
It sounds like the noise is before whatever controls the volume.  Let's assume you swapped tubes and the inputs to the Paramounts one at a time.  

It sounds like the noise was in one channel.  And it didn't change channels with either of the tube swaps or the input cable swaps.  But the noise stayed in one amp, right?  

Offline shelby1420

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:15:08 AM
It sounds like the noise is before whatever controls the volume.  Let's assume you swapped tubes and the inputs to the Paramounts one at a time.  

It sounds like the noise was in one channel.  And it didn't change channels with either of the tube swaps or the input cable swaps.  But the noise stayed in one amp, right?  

Yes, throughout all swaps it stayed in the same amp.

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:38 AM
The mystery is why it follows volume.  Your problem sounds like what happens to my amps every 9 months or so.  I changed the drivers and the 76 tube sockets get loose.  I have to reseat the tubes several times to cure it.  If that doesn't do it I have to take needle nose pliers to my ceramic 5 pin tube sockets.  You have better sockets than this.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:22 AM
The mystery is why it follows volume.  Your problem sounds like what happens to my amps every 9 months or so.  I changed the drivers and the 76 tube sockets get loose.  I have to reseat the tubes several times to cure it.  If that doesn't do it I have to take needle nose pliers to my ceramic 5 pin tube sockets.  You have better sockets than this.

I tried what you suggested Grainger and it seems to have worked!!  Thanks man!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:09 AM
Years ago I bought a tube socket cleaner.  It is a tiny brush like women have for their eye lashes and a contact cleaner.  That works well for 9 pin sockets but it is a really tight fit in the socket.

My sockets for my 76 need to be replaced.  It is an ill conceived design that loses its tension as it heats from the tube.  I don't often see another 5 pin socket.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:28:01 AM
Years ago I bought a tube socket cleaner.  It is a tiny brush like women have for their eye lashes and a contact cleaner.  That works well for 9 pin sockets but it is a really tight fit in the socket.

My sockets for my 76 need to be replaced.  It is an ill conceived design that loses its tension as it heats from the tube.  I don't often see another 5 pin socket.

Hey Grainger et all, can I use this set of sockets to replace the existing sockets in my Paramounts?? http://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-73300.html

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 03:42:25 AM
I have a pair of those exact tube sockets for my Paramours.  I haven't put them in yet.  The only drawback I see is that there is no hole to crimp the wire onto before soldering.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:09:50 AM
I have a pair of those exact tube sockets for my Paramours.  I haven't put them in yet.  The only drawback I see is that there is no hole to crimp the wire onto before soldering.

Excellent!!! I figure they will be in by this weekend!!!  Thanks Grainger!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Steve_in_NV

Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:52:48 PM

When you get these sockets installed would you report back, I cracked one when installing and would like to replace it.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline shelby1420

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:51:58 AM

When you get these sockets installed would you report back, I cracked one when installing and would like to replace it.
Thanks,
Steve

Will do, although it may take a little longer then I expected...........

Enjoying the music

Rick