Need help adapting the Bee Pre upgrade kit to a different amp.

Tjj226_Angel · 916

Offline Tjj226_Angel

Hello all.

This is my first quasi bottlehead kit. I actually have a completely unique amp that my friend built for me, and I wanted to upgrade it with a stepped potentiometer. I did a lot of reading to find out that this upgrade kit was better than a lot of other stepped pots on the market.

I have assembled the whole switch system and I think I have done it correctly. I am running into difficulties when I go to actually install the switch in my amp. The problem is that the directions are intertwined with the actual bee pre preamp so I have no idea which post on the switch is for right in and right out, and same for left in and left out.

I have an educated guess about how I might go about wiring this up to my amp, but rather than risk doing something stupid, I thought I would ask the community and get some feed back.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Wire colors are consistent:
• Red is one channel.
• White is the other.
• Black is ground.

Input is the wires from the selector switch. Output are the wires out to the grids of the tubes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:28:03 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Tjj226_Angel

I figured as much, I just don't understand why it looks like the red and white output wires are going to the same tube.

IDK if that is done for demonstration or if there is something else going on.

I just realized that thing is a selector switch. This entire time I thought it was the el84 tube. Jesus I need glasses.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:52:38 AM by Tjj226_Angel »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
For anyone who wants to take on this kind of thing we have a kit called the Submissive, which is designed as a standalone attenuator and source selector. It might be easier to use it for this kind of application. Our upgrades for specific kits are never intended as a universal fit, and will take some understanding of how they work to adapt them to something they weren't specifically designed for.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.