My Moreplay Journey.

Guest · 2982

AG

on: September 09, 2023, 04:32:06 AM
Hi to all.
We cannot buy happiness, but we can buy Bottlehead that is the same.

Finally I received my kit and well packaged! After I read the instruction several times I started the assembly. Great time putting parts together.
I added a pilot light, painted the chassis using hammered cast iron color and replace the screw for 4-40 Allen screw. To the transformer bell, added corn nut for aesthetic purpose only.
the wood frame was really easy to put together and use a granite surface to ensure squareness.

Today after the new on/off switch arrival, I will start soldering.

Cheers from Fla.
AG.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 04:55:32 AM
Sweet!

Paul Joppa

AG

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 08:51:00 AM
Sweet!
Thank you!

Here is the wood frame finished and the new switch installed temporarily.

The switch and control knobs are going to have an engraved plate underneath so no extra drills will be visible.

cheers from Fla.
Andre.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 10:17:15 AM
I love the wood base and the paint job. The power switch, not so much. But its not mine so who cares what I think.  ;D

AG

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 11:23:44 AM
I love the wood base and the paint job. The power switch, not so much. But its not mine so who cares what I think.  ;D
Thanks for the kind words!
anyway what is make you to do not like the switch? just curious.

So far power up is good, no smoke, no sparks and no fire with 9.5 VAC and 120 VAC. on each terminals.

Cheers from Fla.
AG.

Offline adeep42

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 11:44:23 AM
Hi AG,

Perhaps this switch would be a better idea. Fits into existing ON/OFF switch hole. Requires a tiny bit of extra wiring. A number of us Moreplay lovers who found NOS RCA Metal Tube 6V6s to be very musical did this so that we would know if the preamp is on or off. There is a thread on the Moreplay Forum.

Offline Mucker

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 12:34:34 PM
The cosmetics look fantastic. Is the transformer bell grounded? I see a couple washers on the top of the bell but can't easily see the other rear ones. The bell is grounded at 35L through the attachment bolt. Just a friendly safety question.

AG

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 01:15:24 PM
The cosmetics look fantastic. Is the transformer bell grounded? I see a couple washers on the top of the bell but can't easily see the other rear ones. The bell is grounded at 35L through the attachment bolt. Just a friendly safety question.

Thanks for the concern, yes the Transformer bell is well grounded.

Cheers from Fla.
Andre.

AG

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 01:22:45 PM
Hi AG,

Perhaps this switch would be a better idea. Fits into existing ON/OFF switch hole. Requires a tiny bit of extra wiring. A number of us Moreplay lovers who found NOS RCA Metal Tube 6V6s to be very musical did this so that we would know if the preamp is on or off. There is a thread on the Moreplay Forum.

Hi, I installed a red pilot LED light, the lighted switch you showed is functional, no question about, but doesn't match to character I am looking for. (OCD)

Cheers from Fla.
Andre.

AG

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 12:25:19 PM
 Hi to all.
 Beside to cut my finger a little bit the progress has been pretty good.

tubes lights on and high voltage test passed ok with 315VDC.

cheers from Fla.

Andre.

AG

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 05:08:12 PM
Hi to all.

Today I finished my Moreplay.

Pretty straight forward instructions, easy to work and beautiful design.
 I powered up, let to heat up a little, and voila the sound came out.

Tested with a 20K NAD amplifier this little preamp is a monster, separation and image is beautiful and clear, quiet while is nothing running.

My hat off for all people involved in this project, really a top notch product.

I need more cowbell.

Cheers from FLa.
 Andre.

AG

Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 10:52:00 AM
Hi.
 today I am testing my Moreplay using my main amplifiers.
this preamp can run those mono block flawlessly. The sound image, base and high are great with no fatigue. I believe that using a different pair of valve could do better or different, but as stock, I love the sound.

Later I will try using just one amp as stereo to hear the response.

Cheers from FLa.

Andre.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 11:40:03 AM
Yeah, there isn't enough cowbell in this world today.

Lee R.