I'm New to the Forum - Looking at Buying a SEX Amp

nkoulban · 2463

Offline nkoulban

Hi,

I have just joined this forum looking to have a bit of fun building kits.

Right now I'm looking for advice on a SEX amp.

I have a pair of Audezee LCD2 Ortho headphones.  From research I have done SET amps with a bit of power work well with these cans.  I think the SEX is a SET amp with the required power to do the job.  I would welcome any advice or expereinces with Ortho cans and the SEX amp.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:40 AM
The older S.E.X. kit was not a great match because of the small output transformers which resulted in soft bass on the LCD-2s. The new V2.1 S.E.X. has much better output transformers and this should be a much better match. However I haven't had the opportunity to try the combination yet so I can't give any more certain info than that. My own inclination is to go all the way and try driving the LCD-2s with a pair of Paramount 300B amps. I use them with my power hungry K1000s with excellent results and I suspect they may be the best of our amps to use with the LCD-2s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline nkoulban

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:32:24 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Offline Mistertaz

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:15 AM
@Doc

Would there be a difference running low sensitivity cans from the speaker outputs of the SEX, rather than the headphone output?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:07:43 AM
Both TRS jack and binding posts are connected to the same taps on the output transformers. To update this thread, one person did try the S.E.X. 2.1 amp set to 32 ohms with LCD-2s at the last Seattle Head Fi meet and seemed pretty happy with the result, feeling it had more than enough power. Another LCD-2 owner liked the Smack with his, set to the 128 ohm tap.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Oberst Oswald

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:01 AM
More than happy with the sound of the LCD-2 (Rev 2) & Sennheiser HD 800 with the SEX 2.1   

X-Fi > Stello DA100 > BeePre > SEX 2.1, Beta 22 or Bijou.    Paramounts > Extended Foreplay III > Thiel CS2 
Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB
Denon D-7000
Audez'e LCD-2r2
Sennheiser HD 800