Star Quad "colors" - general question

Laudanum · 1977

Offline Laudanum

on: November 21, 2011, 01:04:51 AM
I asked this on another forum but I know I'll get more/better info here.

When using a Quad type cable for unbalanced, does it really make a difference, electrically, what "color" wires are paired together for L and R channels.  For example, Canare states white+white and blue+blue for unbalanced.  But any two of the four wires can be broken out in an apparent twisted pair. So as it seems to me, and I could be wrong,  the cable construction appears to be 4 individual wires twisted in a quad, rather than two wires twisted in a pair and then that pair twisted with another pair to form the quad (if that makes sense).  So Im wondering if it makes any signifiant ELECTRICAL difference if you use a blue+white and blue+white rather than white+white and blue+blue. 
So does Canare say white+white and blue+blue just to keep the channels straight from a color perspective ... or ... Does it really make a difference, electrically? And if so, a brief and dumbed-down explanation of why would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Desmond G.

Offline coca

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:52 AM
I use the Canare Start Quart cable a lot. There are 2 different gauges that they manufacture. The cable is a microphone cable, and Canare may want to use a colour code just to help to maintain some sort of standard hookup in that application. I use that cable for interconnects, and I can tell you that the colours don't mean anything. I don't think I kept a standard colour code in respect to left and right channels. However, when I make my interconnects, I do not connect both ends of the shield. If you are interested, I can tell you how I make mine. I really like that cable. I always have a few hundred feet on hand, as I also use it for signal hookup wire in certain places inside the amp.

Bernie.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:38 AM
Hi Bernie.  I use the Canare quad in certian applications, ie. TRS to stereo RCA.  Im happy with the Canare shielded twisted pair for standard interconnects (braided shield connected at one end only).
I also keep some of both types in standard and mini.   But I was curious as to whether there was really an electrical difference in the wiring pairing of the Quad.  I dont think there is but, I know Doc and/or Paul J  have used it.  Maybe they have some more info.

Thanks

Desmond G.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:31 AM
Short answer, yes it does matter which wire you pair with which -- if you're making two runs out of the 4 conductors.

If you think of star quad as 4 conductors arranged in a square and then the whole bundle twisted, and the conductors oriented on the ordinal compass points of north, east, south, and west, you want to pair the north and south together, and the east and west -- this keeps the capacitance and inductance "balanced" with respect to the other conductor.

If they were twisted pairs that were then twisted together -- typically with each pair twisted in different directions, and then one conductor of each pair connected to one from the other pair, I believe that is a molloit braid -- similar to the way that the BH power cable hot and neutral leads are arranged.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:24 AM
The "quad" in star quad refers to the quadrupole pickup pattern, as opposed to a dipole characteristic of a two-wire pair. The pickup sensitivity drops with distance much more rapidly. One way to look at is is that the voltage distribution is more nearly concentric (like coax) while still having two shielded lines.

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:20 AM
Thanks Jim and Paul.

Ok, so bottom line ... am I actually going to hear a difference or is it otherwise worth it if I re-do my cable to w+w and b+b  instead of b+w and b+w ?

Desmond G.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:21 PM
If your environment is noisy enough (electrical or magnetic fields, or radio frequency interference) then you will hear a difference, otherwise not.

Note that if you move, or just wait a while, that environment will change. Just sayin' ...

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:31:02 AM
Thanks Paul, and all.

Desmond G.