EFP3 problem

tsingle999 · 3410

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:15 PM
I swapped caps a few months ago and started having intermittent channel outages. I finally noticed the output side of the cap on one channel had become loose. Its in fine now but the leds on that board wont light up nor the led on the center board on the same side as the bad channel and towards the front of the fp3. I swapped tubes to no avail. This pre had been running flawlessly for years. Start with voltages?

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:04:09 PM
Yup, voltages will likely point to the issue. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tsingle999

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:10:01 AM
 26 29 & 30 the voltage climbs. Its supposed to be zero
The first time i turned on the unit ony two lights on the middle board lit up. Second time i turned it on everything lit up. All voltages were on except for the above. Bad solder joint somewhere?

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:31:50 AM
26 29 & 30 the voltage climbs. Its supposed to be zero

How high does it climb?  These are the inputs, and should be really close to 0V.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tsingle999

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 03:39:11 PM
Well it starts around 50 mv n climbs a millivolt every two seconds. It went up to 220 mv. Theres definitely something wrong with power up though. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Switch?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:34:17 AM by tsingle999 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 07:15:12 AM
Eh, there really has to be something else that's wrong.

You'll want to measure the "I" and "O" voltages on the outer PC boards, as well as the "I", "O", and "K" pads no the center PC board.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:35:10 AM
Also check your power line voltage.  Do you have the smaller MJE350 or the larger MJE5731A on the center board?

Paul Joppa

Offline tsingle999

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 01:15:54 PM
Power line 120.8
I think its the 350 transistors. All 6 look the same. The packing list was checked off 4 350 and 2 340.
Center board
Ob 148.8
Ib 212.3
Kb 4.18
Ka 3.18
Oa 150
Ia 213.6

Right board
Ib 0
Ob 80.9
Ia 148.9
Oa 80

Left board
Ia 150
Oa76.5
Ib 0
Ob 78

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
The voltages look good - I assume all the LEDs light properly when you did the measurements.

This says to me that there is nothing wrong when it's working, it's just that the failure is intermittent. It seems to be on the center (regulator) board; when the regulator fails no voltage is abailable for the "bad" channel.

Since both LEDs on one side of the regulator board go out, it may be the supply (I) or ground (G) connection - sometimes solder joints do go bad after a few years. You might try poking with a chopstick while watching the LEDs. If only one of them went out I'd have a different guess, but would probably suggest the same test  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline tsingle999

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:34:15 PM
Thanks guys! I chopsticked a lot but couldnt find anything. But it has been working for two days. Hope it holds.

Offline tsingle999

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 02:28:27 PM
So it failed again and upon closer inspection and chopsticking i think the problem is the center board. I got it to work again by chopsticking but then touched up a bunch of solder joints on the board. So far so good! Thanks again for the troubkeshoiting help guys!