Coupling Caps in Extended Foreplay III

Tickwomp · 10872

Offline Tickwomp

on: July 22, 2010, 10:34:25 AM
Hi guys,

I'd like some guidance/feedback to help choose an alternative to the supplied Auricap 3.0uf.  I'm hoping to replace with a V-Cap TFTF or CuTF, but trying to determine what the smallest size would be okay.  The Foreplay is feeding Paramounts only (i can drop the 3.0 units back in later if necessary). 

Thanks in advance,

Tickwomp

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:24 AM
Two (untested) ideas:

1) You could go down to 0.47uF, which is in Seduction, especially if the interconnect is short.

2) You could get a 0.1uF 600v cap and bypass the Auricap. If you don't like it, you can re-use that cap the Paramounts or many other circuits - it's a pretty common value.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:57 PM
Stock FP 2 was a 2.0uF.  Like PJ says going down to a 0.47 will not make an audible difference on the low frequency response.  That is where a larger capacitor changes the response. 

The worry with long cables is that the capacitance of the cable will roll off the high frequencies.  This is a worry with generic cables.  Good coax, Belden 89259, has low capacitance.  Most better audio cables are also very low.

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:44 PM
Two (untested) ideas:

1) You could go down to 0.47uF, which is in Seduction, especially if the interconnect is short.

2) You could get a 0.1uF 600v cap and bypass the Auricap. If you don't like it, you can re-use that cap the Paramounts or many other circuits - it's a pretty common value.

Thanks for the quick response! 

Interconnect is pretty short at 24", 24ga Silver with WBT Topline connectors.  I think I'll pony up for the .47 microfarad, as I've already upgraded the caps in the Paramounts. 

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods