Stereomour with preamp?

Jim R. · 2205

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: July 18, 2011, 01:08:40 PM
I'm wondering if anybody has used their stereomour with a preamp with gain -- such as the FP III+.

I suspect that if one were going to do this that it may be better to go to a lower gain driver tube, and the ECC99 comes to mind as a possible sub for the 12at7 (with some wiring and operating point changes.)

Anybody try this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline howardnair

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 01:25:27 AM
hi jim--i have used my stereomour with my basic foreplay III-all seemed well--at the moment i am using a scott 130[upgraded] as a preamp and phono in front  of my stereomour-i have used both as just a phono pre and fully engaged pre so to speak-i went back and forth and i prefer cd/tuner phono and tape through the scott-i have done this with my super upgraded pas 2 also with good results-and a sony 2000f solid state preamp-i can not pinpoint exactly why i prefer this-simply put -i like what i hear-maybe i just like all the switches and knobs- i looked at the specs on the 130 - there are no gain specifics-but its uses 12ax7's 5 of them for phono and line stage and 2 12au7's in  the record/tape playback-section-i realize that this is contrary to ??? well!!- quite a few things!!!!! now that it has come up i will probably disconnect reconnect-hook up the foreplay etc-try things with and without-all in the fun of hobby and obsession

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:52 AM
The ECC99 has more gain than a 12AU7 (mu of 22 vs. 17).

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:07:32 AM
Paul,

Understood, but the stereomour uses a 12at7, remember? :D  Not talking about c hanging the preamp here.  Also, the ecc99 looks more capable of driving a 2a3 than a 12au7.

Again, just kind of thinking out loud here -- I'm not at all committed to this yet.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)