Stereomour with 6SN7 preamp & Klipsch Legend KLF-20?

dludingt · 1664

Offline dludingt

Hello all,

I have a pair of Klipsch KLF-20 speakers and an older AES AE-3 6SN7-based preamp that I currently use with a different SE 6550 power amp. It has a nice and clean but somewhat thin sound  all together. I listen to mostly classical music and classic rock, with some jazz thrown in there.

I wanted to know how well the Stereomour would pair with my speakers and preamp. The KLF-20's are very efficient (100dB) so I don't think that either the 2A3 or 45 configuration would be an issue supplying enough power. Would I even need the preamp with the Stereomour, considering how efficient the speakers are?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Dan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:25 AM
The preamp is very likely going to be optional for you.

I ran Klipsch CF-4's with Paramour 2A3's and 45's, and found the sound quite satisfying and much louder than I ever needed. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dludingt

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:19:56 AM
Thanks for the reply, Paul.

I'm actually asking this question for my dad. When I showed him that he may not need the preamp, his interest really piped up as he could sell that to fund the purchase of a Stereomour.

So, with the source selector and integrated volume, there would be no need for the preamp at all? Would either 2A3 or 45 tubes have enough "oomph" to give enough bass extension? The KLF-20's have 2 10" woofers in combination to the tweeter and mid horns. Or would the preamp allow the Stereomour to operate on the lower end without as much distortion as if it were on the high end?

Thanks again!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:46:39 AM
I think if you stick with 2A3's, you'll have more than enough power!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dludingt

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:32:46 AM
Awesome. Now to sell off my dad's current preamp/amp combination to fund a Stereomour purchase!

Thanks for the quick replies.