speedball for the crack - Phase inversion

eharent · 373

Offline eharent

on: January 24, 2022, 03:27:40 AM
Hi there,
i have installed the speedball and it is a bliss! sounds super amazing.
I have just noticed in the introduction in the speedball manual that the phase is inverted. Would that mean that i have to switch my RCA input into the crack? to make it even more confusing my pre amp which i coming out of into the crack is a Conrad Johnson PV11 which is also phase inverted :)

thks for the support

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 04:27:58 AM
The PV11 inverts phase. If the crack inverts it again your headphones are getting a non inverted signal.

Ken Goss

Offline eharent

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 07:33:29 AM
Ha! it so confusing ;D. so would this mean that if i did not have the PV11 inverting phase also i would have to swap the RCA on the crack with the speedball mod? i don't see anybody online talking about inverting or swapping RCA's since it is inverting with the speedball.
thank you
Emmanuel

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:39 AM
What is meant by inverting is the top of a waveform becomes the bottom of the waveform as it leaves the crack or whatever and conversely the bottom becomes the top. It does not matter inverse or not as your ear/ brain can not tell the difference between compression or rarefaction. What will be a problem is if one channel is out of phase with the other. this will cause a dramatic loss of low frequency and muddy mids.
You can try this, Remove one speaker wire from an amp and reconnect with pos and neg swapped. Turn on and if you have a balance control slowly turn it from center to either side and note what happens to the sound. next slowly turn to the other side. All the way to the left and the right will have good bass but when centered bass will be lost. Plus because the right and left sound fine listening to them singularly that exemplifies the fact that you can not determine inverted or normal signals.
End of story
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:59:01 AM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.