Guilty Pleasrues

Grainger49 · 2791

Offline Grainger49

on: October 19, 2013, 06:37:52 AM
Ok, this is a thread for things you would usually keep to yourself.  Guilty Pleasures.

On Sept. 28th I posted these:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FNow%2520Playing%2FGuiltyPealsure_zpse0376183.jpg&hash=fccc860ce64362252fd47c1850bc33b0b49694c2)

These are early MOFI LPs.

Today, cleaning again, I post this:   Best Of Bee Gees (Before they went Disco.)

It has I've Gotta Get A Message To You, Words, I started A Joke, Massachusetts, To Love Somebody and New York Mining Disaster 1941 on it.

Those of you old enough know these.

Now your Guilty Pleasures.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:36 AM
Is no one else going to admit to their guilty pleasures, or does no one else feel guilty?

Offline najo49

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:51 AM
Ok I will fess up, Rudy Callie and the four seasons sherry baby!

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:11:45 AM
lol  :-[

The Ronettes "Be my baby"

The Shirelles "Soilder boy"

Johnny Cash  "big bad john" &  "Ghost riders in the sky"  Yippie yi yaaaay, Yippie yi ohhhhh

One to many cowboy films while growing up.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:14:56 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Stuart S

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:31 AM
Really, "guilty pleasures" are with all of us. Some are just more shy than others about acknowledging them.

1) Emilie Autumn, especially Opheliac. Completely artificial soundspace -- indeed, "artifice" is a key term. Her persona may be a creation, her apparently autobiographical lyrics may be fiction . . . and there's a pretty good chance "Emilie Autumn" isn't her real name. But there's a glory in the assurance with which she sells this. Distorted vocals, electric violin, drum machines, layers of synth: it's not audiophile gold by a long shot. But it's fun!

2) The Dresden Dolls. This pair of musicians make more sheer racket than a piano, singer, and drum kit ought to be capable of creating. There's virtuosity here, but it's mostly in the percussion and the production. They were mining the Weimar/Weill vein and updating it for the 21st century. There are only three albums; the eponymous one has the most recognizable songs.

3) Evanescence's first album, Fallen. I didn't know Christian-Goth-Pop-Metal was a thing. Not only is it a thing, it's a fun thing. But not . . . um, serious.

One catch to acknowledging some guilty pleasures is that others may find pleasure in those things without guilt. I mean no offense, should any "plague rats" or "muffins" read this post.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:10 AM
I have missed a few posts till today.

Najo,

Is that Rudy Valley?  I loved them in the day.  Some really strong voices.

Jamie,

Did Johnny Cash do Big Bad John and Ghost Riders... originally or were they covers? 

Stuart,

I agree.

Since I don't know any of the music you mentioned I assume we are different generations or that your music preferences are distant to mine.

But we all have guilty pleasures.  It seems most Bottleheads are not willing to admit to it.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:21:48 PM
I have missed a few posts till today.

Jamie,

Did Johnny Cash do Big Bad John and Ghost Riders... originally or were they covers? 

I don't have a clue if covers or not, they are both on the same old Country & Western compilation LP

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Stuart S

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:37 AM
Grainger49;

Based on your profile, we're closer to being the same generation than not. But the artists I mentioned are definitely 20-30 years younger.

I suppose that's another confession, if not "guilty pleasure" -- I've made a conscious effort to listen to new(er) music. I don't want to identify so closely with my g-g-g-generation that I only listen to music by artists who were active when I was young. Which is, perhaps, another way of stating that I'm in denial that I'm closer to the end of my life than its beginning.

Wow. Sorry, morbid turn there. Guilty Pleasure #4: Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Karn Evil 9. A more over-the-top affirmation of the maxim "nothing succeeds like excess" you will be hard-pressed to find. And there were distinct glories in the lordly tones of monophonic synthesizers, as well as abused Hammond B-3 organs.