How loud do you listen to music?

Natural Sound · 10807

4krow

Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 05:57:15 PM
   Good Lord Bro! an' ta think they just use ipods nowa days....they don't know what they are missing. Kinda like some of the little 4bangers driving makin noise.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #76 on: July 12, 2013, 06:15:18 PM
I would be kicked out of neighborhood if I had shit like that in my garage! As it is I have to make sure my windows are closed when I'm in a 'session'.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Mike B

Reply #77 on: July 12, 2013, 06:48:08 PM
 :)

I've been workin' on that for years now.  The Bellari "sonic exciter" was the end.  It's got a couple of 12AX7's in it and really helped the sound.  Before I would just get the clip lights blinking and then shut it down 'cause it just was loud.  With the Bellari I could do the same thing except it sounded so good I could just leave it there until the speaks melted.

It's a baby pro sound setup with some car audio stuff.  The 2 half kilowatt A500's feed the Beta 10's and the car amp sends 25 watts each to the co-axial compression drivers.  A quarter kilowatt plate amp powers the 12 inch 94 dB/watt sub.  Active XO separates the signals and the EQ notches out the resonant peak on the Betas.

But it's the Bellari that makes it sound like bliss.  It's that damn thing that got me into the tubes!

It can get really loud.  I've never had a problem with the neighbors though.  That's what's amazing.  I have cranked it to clipping with the big door open and when I walked out to the property line it wasn't that bad.  Oh yeah, you can still hear it, but the sound of a car driving by covers it up.  And it's not like I leave it cranked all the time.  I will "clip out" a song or 2 and then go back to backround level.  With the big door shut I don't think anybody would care as long as it wasn't dark outside.

And it takes up zero floor space - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Grainger49

Reply #78 on: July 13, 2013, 01:16:22 AM
Mike, 65dBA is like a soft spoken conversation.  Are you sure you measured the sound level in the room?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:23:16 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Mike B

Reply #79 on: July 13, 2013, 05:08:19 AM
Yup.

Amazing eh?  I think so too.  It sure sounds louder than that.  I think it's because of all the detail the system brings out.

I lay in bed with the mic of the meter pointed between the speaks about 3 meters away.

Like I said, this is a bedroom system and Pops is just down the hall.  Can't be keeping him awake - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge