OT - CRT projectors

Doc B. · 19649

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: November 20, 2013, 06:17:15 AM
I am beginning the process of updating our home theater. Currently I am using a DWIN Transvision3 projector which in spite of its age and 720p limit I like because of its film-like quality. But I realize that it's time to step up to 1080. I'm reading that some feel the top of the line CRT projectors from 10 or 15 years ago still beat out the current digital projectors in terms of that film-like quality and rich blacks.

I know of the fellow across the border who refurbishes and sells CRT projectors, but I am wondering if anyone in the Puget Sound area has a nice high end CRT projector setup like a G70, Marquee, 1209, etc., they would be willing to let me experience. I will bring your favorite beverage and maybe even some Bottlehead gear to audition if you are interested.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:39:37 PM
FWIW.....I have just seen my friends "at the time" TOTL barco crt in his home with blu ray discs playing a couple days back and boy, I was impressed.. It just looked fabulous and needless to say, he is quite happy as well... Very rich in color, sharpness and detail... No grain  or anything... The only drawback is, when you are sportin' them 3d glasses, it wont do a damn thing for them.... :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:41:01 PM by Chris »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:03:43 AM
Thanks for the reinforcement. For 3D with older tech I believe the solution is to buy two projectors and go crazy getting them to line up right. I looked into buying a second Dwin for that reason, but I find that I'm not that knocked out by the 3D I have watched. Admittedly not that many movies - I think Avatar, The Hobbit and Gravity (what a shitty movie and unsympathetic character, I kept wishing she would just die). 3D is technically interesting but not compelling enough to make it a must have for me.

We are canceling our cable TV package because I am tired of watching or FF'ing thru a zillion commercials. Right now I am struggling with the fact that all this high def video gear is worthless if the Netflix stream can't deliver HD at peak viewing hours. Our blu ray player sort of does it, sometimes maybe 720, sometimes less. The 2009 Mac Mini I tried last night wasn't getting HD at all from the same Ethernet connection but was sporting really great looking HD on our connection at work in the middle of the day. Our speed was 45 down and 5.8 up so it's not the connection. Guess I have to try a PC next. I understand that with a PC you can force netflix HD playback and simply wait longer for it to retrieve.

Some great news about the theater is that I got my last bit of Blumenstein gear for it this week from Clark and Molly. I'll be using Orcas for fronts and rears, an Orca center channel and a BUF sub that holds the center at a perfect height just below the screen. Now I have to figure out what kind of amps to buy. I'm thinking about tube amps. Anybody know where I might get some?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:07:44 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:58 AM
The issue is simple - Comcast throttles your internet way back when you run Netflix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx13U5W7FQg&feature=youtu.be

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:01:48 AM
Challenge acknowleged, will check this tonight.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:19:19 AM
You mean you prefer analog for movie watching as well? :-)

BTW, we just moved from a 25 mb comcast line to a 40 mb dsl liine and my wife's iTunes movie downloads went from 4 hours to 20 minutes. Obviously the speed difference of the lines cannot account for that huge difference.

P.S. - if you ever want to go to a 7.1 system, I've got a nice set of orcas on tall stands plus sub and amp I can make you a really good deal on ;-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:20:40 PM
Hah! I have a 25M comcast line at home, and a 5M DSL at the summer cabin - which opens the Comcast email about 5 times faster!

Paul Joppa

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Very much agreed regarding the 3D.. I, as well, am not knocked out by it and actually prefer the "classic" way of viewing... I was just kiddin' ya about 3D... Barco and Runco and Sony are worth looking into....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:01 PM
Thanks! Already looking at Sony, Barco and Electrohome. Realizing that my room may be a little too short for the length of CRT projector to be able to fit my screen, hmmm.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
a few years ago, my roommates bought a commercial NEC CRT projector (much like the one pictured below) on ebay.  I believe they spent $1500 for the unit, which was 15 years old and retailed for $25,000k to $30,000k (new) when it was still on the market.  I told them they were crazy, that there was no way the thing would be selling for that cheap if it was in working order (as described in the listing).

(http://)

Sure enough, when the behemoth arrived, it was a 250lb coffee table-sized lemon.  when powered on, it kept saying (error XXX - Fan 3)... then it would shut itself off.  What is funny is that after replacing all of the fans with cheap computer case fans, the error screen went away.

I remember spending days, literally, calibrating that projector.  After about 30 hours and a few cases of beer, I was completely blown away by the picture quality.  We had a 300 inch screen going on a wall that wasn't a whole lot larger, and a sweet SLI-gaming rig hooked up to it. 

I think I watched "finding nemo" 20 or 30 times over the course of a month... not because I even care for the film, (i hate kids movies), but because the colors were so incredible.  I have still yet to see a display that I thought looked more natural, including a megabuck DLP projector I saw in a private theater a few years later. 

I definately think you are making a wise choice by going with the CRT.  Once its properly calibrated, you will have no need for 3D capability.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:27:34 PM
I saw a high end projector displayed at a Audio King many years ago.  I think it was a Sharp brand, and $ 12, 000. the picture was beautiful!  A couple of months latter I was in that same store, and went into the highend theater room to oogle it again.  This time I was not impressed at all. I looked up and there was a $4000 unit hooked up.  I asked about the "good one", the sales guy said someone walked off with it.  Nobody asks the guy in the jumpsuit, with the tools who he is and what is he doing.

Offline Chris

Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:07 AM
Sturm.. It was probably DB Cooper, it just feels like it... I am happy about this thread, because, like all of you, last week, I,  myself was singing the praises to my friend about his crt projector.... I think the big factor is NOT with the future proof type picture quality.. but with the companies support.... ie bulbs etc... I do know that Barco still exists and Sony of course does as well. however.. TOTL projectors like Vidikron of years ago?? I dont know??   YMDIVITI..... your mileage does indeed vary in this instance....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 08:09:20 AM
I have been communicating with a very nice fellow named Curt Palme, who has a fabulous website for CRT projector owners. Curt sells, repairs, calibrates and keeps tons of inventory. He knows which projs are worth keeping alive, which you can still get parts for, and which ones throw the best images. The site is an absolute gold mine. Www.curtpalme.com.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:35 AM
You influenced me into tape, rangefinder cameras and now I'm looking at CRT projectors, stay away Satan!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 02:22:17 PM
Did I ever mention that late 80's and early 90s Mercedes are some of the best ones they ever made?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.