Follow up questions to a Audio Asylum Thread For Paul

astroimage2002 · 2835

Offline astroimage2002

on: October 09, 2010, 02:02:10 PM
Hi Paul,

Here is a copy of the post that you made on Audio Asylum's SET forum. I have left none of it out and I hope that the context remains intact.

***Begin Quote
(Topic) What KIND of 2A3, ...or 45 ....for that matter?

A special note for Jeff :^) ---

The amp Astroimage has is convertible by changing the cathode resistor and a resistor in the power supply, to get the current and voltage right for the respective tubes. (There is a tap change on the plate choke, too.) Both tubes are run at the maximum spec, 300 volts and 15 watts plate dissipation for the 2A3 and 275 volts/10 watts for the 45. However, it is possible to set the voltage and current for the 45 and simply plug in a 2A3. The 2A3 will then run at 10 watts plate dissipation, which I know Jeff prefers for longevity - especially important when using expensive tubes (!). The load impedance is then a little low by my preferred operating point calculations, but still well within the range that Jeff has advocated before. Power is intermediate, probably 2.5 to 3 watts.

Note for Astroimage ---

The high power available from the 2A3-S only comes when using it as if it were a 300B. That particular 2A3, like the JJ 2A3-40 and a few others, is able to withstand higher voltages and currents than the classic 2A3, and can be used in a few 300B amps - those with switchable filament voltage. Otherwise, to get the higher power you would have to design an amp specifically for that tube.
***End Quote

If I am reading what you have stated correctly the Stereomour is able to run with 2a3 OR 45

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:20:32 PM
Yes, if you build it for the 45 then you can substitute a 2A3 with no other changes. You won't get all the power that the 2A3 is capable of, but you will get a bit more than the 45 can give.

Paul Joppa

Offline astroimage2002

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:40:44 PM
Paul,

Thank you for the follow up. ...jus follow the manual

Thanks!

Brian

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:27:55 PM
isn't it?

Jim C.