What I want in a DAC

glynnw · 50396

Offline glynnw

on: October 27, 2011, 07:01:11 AM
My preference is that you come out with a great DAC, not a cheap DAC.  Do not need USB, though it is a nice option.  Currently using a Wavelength Brick with Mortar power supply (retail $2K) and recently bought and then sold (preferred the Brick) Ayre QB-9 (retail $3K).  I have no problem paying over a grand for something top drawer.  Just my 2 cents.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:25:52 AM
being able to handle 24/192 would be nice.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:28 AM
You guys and I are on the same track. I will try to keep the basic version around $1000 if possible (really can't say for sure yet), and there will be upgrade options like USB input, multiple power supplies and a couple choices of sample rate display. And it will do 24/192. The project got slowed down a bit again with RMAF, but we are working on ramping it back up ASAP.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:16 AM
Great.  I really liked the Ayre having a sample rate display and wish my Brick did.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:03 AM
I bet it doesn't use Nixie tubes...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bobster

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:01:55 PM
If no USB, how do I get music from my computer to the dac?

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:14 PM
You would provide an SPDIF output in the form of a USB to SPDIF converter of some kind like an M2tech Hiface, or via a sound card with an SPDIF output.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:47:25 PM
I don't care out a USB, but it would be nice to have more than one SPDIF input. for multiple digital sources.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:57:58 PM
The plan is to offer the kit with an SPDIF coax input. There will be a spot on the DAC board for an optional USB input daughterboard. Perhaps the builder could repurpose that as another SPDIF input instead, I'm not sure.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:17:54 AM
I bet it doesn't use Nixie tubes...

Is that to say that the Bottlehead DAC uses Nixies?  COOOOOL!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:18 AM
We are discussing having a card edge slot that will allow one to have an assortment of display options. It might be possible to do a Nixie display.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:16:27 PM
USB is important to Me...John

John S.

Offline John Roman

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:43:25 AM
Nixie tubes seem like a cool idea. I'd also like to retain use of a USB connection. USB is improving and I think may be "the " platform for a host of improvements. Great to being hearing some details about the BH-DAC.
Just a thought, lets have a contest to name the new DAC.................??????????????

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:49:13 AM
John, as soon as we go for USB there will come a new and better way of connecting to a DAC.  Digital changes way too quickly for me.  I, too, think that USB will be the best thing for the DAC.  I am supposing I will end up with some sort of music server and a computer for my stereo. 

That just sounds wrong, a computer for my stereo.  Well, I can change.

Offline kgoss

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 05:25:21 AM
My question about a USB input is will it be a USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 option.  I really doubt that Doc wants to get into the business of writing device drivers but without one I believe a USB 1.0 connection will be limited to 16 bits / 48 kHz.  That's fine for CD quality music, but it won't support high resolution data.

For me a second SPDIF input would be preferable to a USB 1.0 input.  If your only option is a USB output there are several good USB to SPDIF converters on the market now.  Just be sure that the one you choose supports the data resolution(s) that you require.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:58:39 PM by kgoss »

Ken Goss