Amp not used for a month now has distortion [Resolved]

Horatio · 3806

Offline Horatio

Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 01:20:59 AM
Doc, thanks for the advice! I took the call to start replacing components on the board. First was the pair of 431's - no difference. I then swapped out:

1) 10,000 uf 6.3V capacitor
2) 0.1uf 640v (F104k) capacitor
3) 2 x MJE5731A
4) 2 x 2N2907A transistors

Working on the principle of "in for a penny in for a pound" I figured I would replace all the main components at the same time.

Initial listening makes it sound like the issue may be resolved - I will listen more this evening to confirm but it sounds positive so far!

Quick follow up question - do any of the components I have switched above have a material impact on sound. The capacitor's for example are not an exact visual match (should be an electrical match) - just wondering if you would expect replacements like the above to alter the sound at all and whether I should consider having matching components in the other amp?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Horatio

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 11:19:40 AM
Just confirming that the replacement parts in the C4S board appear to have fixed the issue - distortion gone. Looking at some historic posts I get the impression that the C4S board does not directly impact sonic quality and therefore my electrically exact but not visually identical replacement parts should make no difference to the audio quality - is this assumption correct?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 02:51:21 PM
If the parts are the same spec and your voltages are right you should be good to go.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Horatio

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 08:41:45 PM
Excellent - thanks Doc!