Hum after SE X abuse

junkscience · 10197

Offline junkscience

on: March 14, 2010, 04:41:52 PM
Ok, I was fortunate that an electronics hobbies friend gave me Se X  as gifts over the years
Last year I bought from Eric Alexander his Tekton Design Fostex 8 Inch Full-Range Monitor Speakers.
But I found that the amp did not drive these big speakers well.
My solution was to get 2 SE x amps, and bi-amp each speaker.
This is really audio climax.  unbelievable you-are-there 3-D sound and deep base with the 8 inch speakers driven well bi-amped.

Now the sad story.
All was well and sounding great for 9 months.
But I just moved the speakers and in re-wireing them, I crossed the speaker wires on my right channel and right dedicated amp. (red to one transformer output, but then to the black on the other channel out put!)
low sound and distortion.  Ugh!
Now, I have a new permanent hum in the right channel.

What did I blow, and what is the likely fix?

I have only modest skills at kits, as I said, a friend made these a few years ago.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:01:31 PM
It is unlikely that you "blew" anything. Most likely it's just a wiring/interconnect problem, or a bad solder joint that gave up from mechanical handling during the move - but of course I'm guessing here since I can't see your setup.

Your use of the term "bi-amping" is unclear; normally it means one channel for the bass and another for the treble. Have you in fact restored the speaker connections to what they were when it worked? Are they identical to those on the other side? Have you swapped amps between sides to confirm that the problem is in the amp and not in the location or connections?

If you have done all these things and still have the problem, then we probably need to understand how the "biamp" setup is connected, both internally and externally. If the amps are internally stock, then you can use each of them as a stereo amp to confirm that one of them does not work like the other one, and whether the problem is in one channel or both. If they are not stock, then we need to understand how they are different.

This may take a while, but this forum has a pretty good record of eventually solving problems.

Paul Joppa

Offline junkscience

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:58 AM
Paul,
Thank you for your quick reply and helpful advice.  I got busy at work, and could only recently return to my audio hobby and inspecting the amp.

You were right.  I found a loose solder joint at a capacitor in the power supply, the capacitor also looked burned.  I replaced the capacitor and two diodes all at the same solder joint.  Problem solved.
Indeed I misstated my set-up.  I was not bi-amping.  Rather I might be bridging the amps; 1 stereo pair driving each channel (2 SE X total)).
(sorry I cant resist the pun;