Office setup ideas

aragorn723 · 721

Offline aragorn723

on: September 26, 2021, 04:28:45 PM
I recently got a new job/promotion which will mean working from home for the foreseeable future.  My office will be the sitting room off our master bedroom (they open to each other) and it is 10'X10'.  The master bedroom has the stereo in it now, which consists of the following:

Bottlehead Quickie preamp
Inter-m R500 amp
Definitive Technology 5P-6B speakers
Uturn Orbit with Grado Black cartridge
Rega fono mini phono preamp
Audioengine d1 dac
Rotel CD player
B&W 10" sub

Need some ideas for the office, should I have a separate stereo setup there, maybe headphones only, or move the main stereo into the office?

Dave

Offline Chris H

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 12:47:41 AM
Congrats on the job/promotion - Sounds like a good excuse to build another system.
Can always swap them over later, space permitting.

S.E.X. hooked up to computer is what I have as I can use either speakers or cans to give best of both worlds.
Run mine through HD800s or DIY overnight sensations but plenty of ready made speakers to choose from - don't have to be overly sensitive given room size, especially if used near-field.
Office system actually gets more use than my main one and it has never felt like a "second" system, if you know what I mean.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 01:29:57 AM
Thanks!  I was think about the S.E.X. to drive my Grado SR125s.  Would be nice to keep this system somewhat minimalist if possible, since it is a secondary system (though it will get a lot of use).  Also considering a small set of speakers, what would be a good match for the S.E.X.?  Never heard of the overnight sensations, will have to Google those.  Will probably move the dac over to the office and run that thru the system too.

Dave

Offline Chris H

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:07:42 AM
The overnight sensations are DIY.
A kit is available including ready-made cabinet panels.  Depends where you are; UK - SoundImports, US - PartExpress.
I'd never built speakers but they went together well and sound great with the SEX.
Credit where credit is due - recommendation was on this forum from Paul B, seconded by a number of others.
I went with internal soundcard to save deskspace (Asus essence STX II) and have been very happy with it.  Not an option if using a laptop.
A couple of desktop stands and good to go.
Pic attached to give an idea of set up size.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:17:48 AM by Chris H »

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 04:36:23 PM
Slight change of direction.  I set up my existing stereo in the office tonight, and realized there is no easy way to play digital music.  In the past I connected a laptop to a Audioengine d1 dac, and connected that to a stereo input.  The stereo will be maybe 6 feet from the desk, is there a good way to connect this wirelessly?  One Idea that comes to mind is a Audioengine b1 dac.  It has Bluetooth, so I can probably connect my phone or computer.  Will this limit the bitrate I can run?  Is there a better option?

Dave

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 05:06:48 PM
If it's only 6' you can probably just use a cable. If you move the DAC close to your computer it can probably drive a 2m RCA cable and depending on what digital cables you have on hand maybe less...John

John S.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 11:39:45 PM
Lol.  That will definitely work 😎

Dave

Offline Karl5150

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 04:39:26 AM
I run a similar setup to Chris', but with single driver speaker from Planet10. They came as flat packs so a little more involved cabinet build but no x-over. With small powered subs the system plays plenty loud with the S.E.X.'s 2W/Ch.
For your music files, as others have said, long digital cables and short analog cables are your friends.
Good luck,
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:39:34 PM
As far as speakers go, use what ever you want. In a smaller room, you  Will be amazed by what you drive with 2,tube watts...John

John S.

Offline Chris H

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:36 PM
@John, I think Dave has decided to move the main system into the office from the bedroom.
I would still consider SEX in the bedroom.
Er, not sure there is any way I can re-phrase that.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 05:11:34 AM
Yeah, I moved the main system into the office, but it's not a good match.  The office is 10' x 10', and the Definitive tower speakers pound me with bass.  Also tried some Paradigm small cinema speakers  (I think they're called Procinema 70s?).  Those were better in terms of balance, but sound compressed and veiled.  I have a pair of Optimus speakers to try too, but don't expect them to do the trick.  Seems like I need new speakers.  Are there small speakers I can get that will be open and detailed that will fit the room?  Suggestions?  Maybe $400 budget?

Dave