What are you using your S.E.X. to drive?

Japhy · 6473

Offline Japhy

on: October 26, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
Hey gang,

Just interested in knowing what type(s) of speakers you are using your S.E.X. amp to drive?  I did the iron upgrade on mine a few months ago and have been using a set of Klipsch Forte's and have been having lots of fun.  Amazing what only 2 watts can accomplish!!

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:32:02 PM
Got Forte IIs. Sound great.

Hey, tell us about the iron upgrade! Did you get the all-nickel? Tell us about the difference.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:33:21 PM
I have two Sex amps. One of them drives my Sony headphones. The other drives a passive Marchand crossover that, in turn, drives my bass (<130 hz) amps.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Japhy

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:41:03 PM
The iron upgrade you ask....well even after what I had read I was a little sceptical until.......:)

I got the stripped nickel set.  I had already been using the C4S for plate loads that helped, but this new iron put this little amp into a new league.  It digs deeper into the lower registers and with more ease.  Everything is smooth and crystal clear....I noticed and had read that the stock iron could be somewhat nervous sounding in the middle ranges....not anymore.

After having the new iron in for a few months, I am continually blown away when I put something on that I haven't listened to for a while.  As well, I have a set of Dynaco Mark III amps that I built several years ago before the finished kits came out that I used to listen to religiously since then.  They have been in a bit of a hibernation since the iron upgrade....just simply marvelous in all respects.  You would not be disappointed if you take the plunge at some point.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:44:41 PM by Japhy »

Offline Japhy

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:28 PM
I've thought about picking up a set of La Scala's to try out at some point, but I've read about the lows not being there and I don't want to go the route of having to add a sub at this point.  To be honest, the Forte's are performing lovely at least for me.  Just interested in knowing if there are even more efficient speakers out there that people are liking that still reach down in the frequency range and that a person wouldn't have to take a second mortgage out on to afford.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49:29 PM
Nice to hear. I'm hesitant to get the iron only because of the price, and then if I got the striped nickel I would always imagine it could be THAT much better with the all-nickel, for only $100 more.

So you'd say it's worth it, eh? Do you hear a difference in the headphone performance, too? (I know you said you have another amp for that, but have you compared?) Or does the iron only change output for speakers?

You should see if you can get Bob Crites to make some Cornscalas for you. Those take the best of the Cornwalls and marry them with the best of the La Scalas. A dream, apparently.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Japhy

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:57:09 PM
I know....I had the same thought as well....for another $100, what would I get....at some point I have to be happy with what I get and can justify.  For me the striped set was some extremely well money spent.

I don't seem to notice as much difference with headphones....or perhaps I haven't spent as much time comparing.  That said, I do hear the improved clarity and smoothness.  Lot's of authority now.  I'm using AKG 701's.

Yes....I've thought lots about the Cornscala's.  Got the plans, have been sourcing some furniture grade plywood for just such a project.  This is what I'm leaning towards.  The Forte's I have are 96dbl*m/W.  I've emailed Bob and the cornscala's are about 100db*m/W.  Perhaps about the limit I can go while maintaining low frequency response in a speaker being driven by a couple watts and still not having to break the bank.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:00:11 PM
I'm driving a pair of Fostex horns (FE166es) in a fairly small room  I get all the sound I need and then some.

I'm using a S.E.X. with the full nickel iron, upgraded caps and goldpoint attenuator.  To say the least, it is just the sweetest thing I've ever heard.  I've never heard a S.E.X. without the iron upgrade so I can't give a good comparison on the iron alone.

Compared to my other amps (non-BH SE 300b and 6V6) there is enough improvement to make me strongly consider the full-nickel upgrade for any future builds. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline keto

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:41:20 PM
Mids and tweet and a passive speaker-level crossover >300hz, here.....

Tom Jones

Offline Japhy

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 05:28:07 PM
Wow Keto....what is that?  Never seen drivers in such a config as that before!?

Offline Cary

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:15:03 AM
At the moment my SEX amp is in the den powering a pair of Paradigm Micro speakers, connected to a Sony CA70ES CD player.

Offline keto

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:43:11 AM
The yellow horns are a Tom Danley design from about 10 years ago called the "Unity", that Nick McKinney of Lambda Acoustics offered as a kit. Nick also designed some midbasses and woofers that are now available through ae speakers.

Tom Jones

Offline ssssly

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:55 PM
Have the Nickel stripe Iron upgrade on a original SEX with a couple mods. Running Frugal Horn MKIIIs and AKG702s. Tried the SEX with a few different speakers and the Frugals and SEX seem to work very well together. 

Offline pendergast

Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:47:16 AM
I am using the SEX 2.0, with iron upgrade and C4S, which drive exclusively a set of Fostex 206 ESR in russian birch plywood 3/4 inch thick assembled with wood dowels and glue. They have 98 dB 1W/m of sensitivity, and they provide excellent mid-range and high frequency details.  Bass is driven by an Open Baffle Hawthorne speaker with an independent amplification. 

I am a happy SEX owner since 2006.

Offline Japhy

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:12:02 PM
porcupunctis....what did you think of putting the goldpoint in your S.E.X. amp?  Sounds like it's not too bad to squeeze it into the previous chassis.  Any noteworthy comments on sound?