near disaster

STURMJ · 5220

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 02:23:10 AM
Eric,

We got to talk about your photography, I'll PM.

I'm not a big fan of inexpensive surge suppressors.  Most of those are MOVs, a $2.02 device.  Too many manufacturers only put in one.  You need them line to neutral, line to ground and neutral to ground for full protection.

The best ones are whole house protectors that go into the first two breaker slots in your service panel. 

4krow

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:03 AM
Eric, EXCELLENT, MAN! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH! WAS EVEN BETTER IN BISBEE(THEY MINED COPPER THERE).

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 01:28:43 PM
Ah yes, the old saying in Bisbee -- "Dont want to be minin' in an electrical storm!"

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 07:41:23 PM
Yeah great photos wax... and what you say makes the most sense MR. G...

4krow

Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 05:32:37 AM
  The whole house protection is really a great idea. I see that happening more in newly built homes. The sooner you stop the surge, the better chance you have, and the breaker box is the first site you have available. BTW, instead of using the power company ground rod, I attached the power ground directly to the well casing of my pump!, not mention to a rebar construct as well. Yah, I'm a ground hog.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:53 PM
The site was down for me for the last several days, prob something on my computer.  Here is the wire in question, burned right through heavy gauge magnet wire. It was wrapped with Teflon that was wrapped with copper tape, a drain wire attached then wrapped with Teflon again.Thankfully nothing was damaged other than this wire (I hope).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 01:59:41 AM
Do go through your home and see what else might have been damaged.  A few years back we had a tree in the back yard struck by lightning.  It took out my tuner, the garage door openers, my computer, the telephone base station and a door switch on the house alarm.

Everything was covered less the deductible.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 04:15:19 AM
I haven't noticed any thing yet. This happened in a addition that extends out from the main body of the house. Hopefully is was isolated.

4krow

Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 06:57:29 AM

"I haven't noticed any thing yet. This happened in a addition that extends out from the main body of the house. Hopefully, it was isolated." He says just before stumbling down the stairs thinking that the light was still working after the storm.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 07:38:13 AM
Its funny, we have had direct hits to houses in our neighborhood, putting holes in the roof, starting small fires etc. No power outages or damages to power equipment in or out of houses in our neighborhood. I guess TEP did a good job with setting us up in the late 1990's. Power to the larger area of course has gone out due to storms. That usually happens several times a year.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.