New S.E.X. / Orca Mini

Bob · 2149

Offline Bob

on: January 19, 2015, 12:02:25 PM
Completed my S.E.X. kit (Office System) this past week. Testing went great --- one small problem, quickly identified and corrected. This is my 3rd kit (Stereomour, Reduction previously) and I am still amazed with the quality/performance/price of these kits. Thanks to the Bottlehead team again and all the folks on this forum who contribute that allow folks like me to succeed.

I got my Orca Mini's in today (Still waiting on my Dungeness Max) so I am finally able to hook it all up and fire up the amp for some much anticipated listening.

I am not disappointed -- with 2 hours on the amp and speakers - the sound is just fabulous - near field - positioned 2 ft off speakers, the detail is just superb, the amp drives the speakers with ease, clarity, wonderful imaging. Cant wait for the sub to get here and the speakers/tubes to open up with use. See pictures below --- a further, more complete review to come when the sub arrives. Thanks to Clark and his team for their guidance --- their craftsmanship is second to none - just beautiful and the sound just as perfect !

Bob

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:21:50 PM
Those Orca minis look superb in that wood combination. I primarily purchased my Sex amp for use with headphones and have been very presently surprised at just how good those 2W can sound with speakers as well. I think its a superb choice for a small room system such as a office or bedroom.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:25:00 PM
Looks great!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:45:34 PM
Awesome news that you like the Mini/Sex combo so far even without a sub!  Your Dungeness Max cabinet came upstairs today and got oil wiped on it.  Drivers for those were backordered for quite some time, but things are humming along.  Now if only I could get some mercy from the flu...  I am feeling so grateful for our stellar employees who've been able to take up the slack.

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline Bob

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:20:36 AM
Jamie,
The picture of the speaker truly does not do justice to the in person view. The carmel bamboo is stunning. The grain and the way that Clark puts these together just make for a work of art.

As to 2 watts - I have been listening with the volume between the 8-9 position (with 7 being silent) - moving much past this will over power you ! - amazing how well S.E.X. drives these speakers. The amp is wonderful, I am very impressed  -- I have the C4S board and am running off the 4ohm taps.  I am using a BitFrost DAC I acquired from a friend who was upgrading - connected via TOSLink to an AppleTV (Makes for great little inexpensive music server for the office!).

Doc,
Thanks for your comment --  I appreciate it very much.

Clark,
Get well - The flu is nothing to mess around with.  Good news on the Dungeness and since you mention the oil -- as I continue to admire my speakers and their finish -- it looks, feels and smells like you use Linseed oil(with a touch of wax) - Is that correct? This is my favorite basic wood finish --- If not - can you share?

Bob

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:49:59 AM
Clark can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he uses tried and true wood finish. Great stuff!
http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/