It's alive!

Doc B. · 16498

Offline RPMac

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:03 AM
Just placed my order without 300b's...guess I should have asked what you are sending with the kit???

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:47 AM
Thanks Rob! We'll be shipping BeePres with the same EH 300Bs we use in the Paramounts.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline RPMac

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:18 AM
That's what I was thinking. I have a pair I'm not using to go in at startup, then probably go to JJ's.
What tubes have y'all tried?

Offline caffeinator

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:40 AM
From the description, I read there are three inputs and two outputs - is that right?  Also, are the outputs isolated enough to use one set to feed a subwoofer?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:00 AM
You should be fine running a sub. As for tubes I have only tried the EHs and some TJs at this point.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 10:31:02 AM
Hi:

I'm close to pulling the trigger but I have a couple of questions:

1. Here's a sentence from the product description: "We give you three inputs, one of which can be reconfigured from the stock RCA jack to an XLR jack that can be combined with the soon to be offered balanced input transformers."  What does a balanced input transformer actually do?  Does it have something to do with pseudo-balanced vs. true balanced?

2. Not to open up the proverbial "can-o-worms" but what are the advantages of an active preamp?  I'm currently using a remote controlled LDR passive preamp with my Paramounts.  I'm more than willing to give up remote volume control for better sound quality.  However, there's one argument against an active preamp that I can't ignore.  It goes something like this "Why amplify the signal when you are just going to throw it away at the volume control?"

My system has plenty of gain and ideal impedance matches, so the passive preamp works extremely well.  However, there must be more to it.  That's what I'm trying to find out.  Thanks.

Gerry

P.S. I understand that Active vs. Passive is one of those Audio topics right up there with Analog vs. Digital, Tube vs. Solid State, etc.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 11:06:08 AM
Hey Gerry -

I can relate to the 'active vs. passive' debate. I was a preamp 'non-believer' for years until I had the chance to try a tube preamp for practically nothing (Quickie).

Lets just say, I'm a believer now (and I couldn't leave her if I tried..). What the active pre did for my system was bring the music to life. Hard to describe, but the music was definitely more like 'music'. Dynamic, flesh on bones, exciting, more engaging, bigger etc. I can use my Transporter as a preamp, and I have other integrated amps that I have experimented with. I keep going back to the tube preamp. Of course the rest of my system is solid state. YMMV for sure, but its worth a go!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:10:48 AM
Gerry,

I'm not familiar with the LDR passive pre.  But... with an active preamp the sources "see" a fittingly high impedance and it presents a proper low impedance to the amplifier.

That is an advantage over many, but not all, passive preamps.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:55:14 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 03:47:10 PM
Here's a sentence from the product description: "We give you three inputs, one of which can be reconfigured from the stock RCA jack to an XLR jack that can be combined with the soon to be offered balanced input transformers."  What does a balanced input transformer actually do?  Does it have something to do with pseudo-balanced vs. true balanced?

The balanced input transformer lets the input float, relieving ground loops and reducing noise (potentially).  This is a true balanced input, not pseudo balanced. 

It's also worth mentioning that you could dump the balanced output and run single ended only quite easily.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 08:10:57 PM
I have never seen, and still do not see, any technical reason why an active preamp should be of any use in a system that already has adequate gain. I also know that far too many people with excellent ears say just what earwaxxer said. I myself certainly love the BeePre sound in Doc B's big reference system, and I have heard that system with a passive (not recently enough to have confidence in my judgement though). You cannot ignore subjective reality just because you don't have a technical reason to believe it. Do more listening to more systems, and make up your own mind! I'll be doing that (replacing my Extended Foreplay) eventually.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 02:19:49 PM
Congrats BH crew!  I'd say I'd be looking to get one, but that would be a bit silly given my other project in progress :-).  Though I do still see this as an eventual addition to the herd here.  Paramounts as well.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 02:58:36 PM
Oh well, I'm in!

Question for the BH guys -- will this fit on a shelf with a 10" clearance between shelves? -- not absolutely critical, but would be somewhat more convenient.  Though I suppose that will depend a lot on the tubes used -- but say sophias /TJs?  I can alsmost guarantee that the humongous EMLs won't.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline dht 4 me

Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 04:22:43 AM
I have never seen, and still do not see, any technical reason why an active preamp should be of any use in a system that already has adequate gain. I also know that far too many people with excellent ears say just what earwaxxer said. I myself certainly love the BeePre sound in Doc B's big reference system, and I have heard that system with a passive (not recently enough to have confidence in my judgement though). You cannot ignore subjective reality just because you don't have a technical reason to believe it. Do more listening to more systems, and make up your own mind! I'll be doing that (replacing my Extended Foreplay) eventually.

The ability to source more current, have more headroom and (with digital) the added HF isolation surely carries zero weight with the spec - tech crowd.
Even better is who would want antique tubes and vinatge superbly executed technology with DHT's.

I absolutely have to remember Paul's "Subjective reality" quote as it is the most eloquent depiction I have yet to hear.

There is nothing like the speed, air and imaging of a DHT. Doc is offering the palette of Sakuma's wine or the price of Sake here folks.
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.robert-park.com%2Fpersonal%2FTop_front-web.jpg&hash=8b568bfe5f0aa273f0fc9f1782ef4dbb2b9407b4)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 04:46:21 AM
Hey stranger! Good to see you around here. Your preamp did a lot to lean me toward the DHT preamp idea a few years ago. I think before yours every one I heard was so hummy that I couldn't grok the benefits. Hearing yours vs. a FPIII was a real ear opener.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 05:09:19 AM
DHT,    That is a beautiful pre-amp you have there.

Guys, you have said it correctly. It didn't make sense to me to have any equipment between the source and power amp if not needed, UNTIL I used a buffered stage. Then, I never went back. Of course a volume control needs to be implemented.