Isolation tweaks

Doc B. · 16797

Offline ssssly

Reply #60 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:48 AM
The rings will straight melt to the tubes on the paramount. At least they did on mine.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #61 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:36 PM
I'm sorry that you had to take one for the team but thank you for posting your experience .

Aaron Johnson

Offline ssssly

Reply #62 on: April 13, 2013, 06:06:29 PM
They didn't burst into flames or anything, but the covering definitely melted. Didn't permanently stick to the tube either, but again it did melt. I found a seller on amazon who had them for like $5 a piece. So not a huge monetary investment ruined either. 

Probably just strip the cover off powder coat them, and wrap them in teflon.

They didn't make a huge difference anyway. I just think they look cool.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #63 on: April 14, 2013, 10:47:31 AM
A couple rolls of Teflon plumbers tape, might be enough to keep them from melting...John

John S.

4krow

Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:29 AM
I realize that this doesn't exactly go in this thread, since I am talking about my Quickie, but I have tried the Herbies tube dampers. Since they wer mentioned previously in this thread, it seemed ok. Having said that, I have a short term impression about the results. With the 3S4 tubes, damping of any sort is beneficial as compared to nothing. As much as I enjoy these tubes, micro-phonics are in full swing and can even lead to a harshness of the treble, as well as a muddiness in the bass.  Suffice it to say that tube dampers did as much as anything else I've tried, with an improvement in the treble harshness. I can now turn the little Q up higher w/o fear of ear pain/wincing. You know, waiting for that part in the song that is as edgey as a rusty razor. Less offensive, but quite welcome is the increased bass definition that I heard. Back to notes not thuds(not quite that dramatic but you get the point). So, at such a low price, these dampers are one of my no-brainers, or ,or, you can continue you Frankenstien experiments ERIC,,,,I won't judge.

Offline mp9

Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:10 PM
A couple rolls of Teflon plumbers tape, might be enough to keep them from melting...John
or you could apply a bead of http://www.americansealantsinc.com/asi-502-industrial-silicone-sealant-adhesive/  ? "withstands constant operating temperatures from -70 to +400 degrees F."

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:23:03 PM by mp9 »

Offline debk

Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:33 PM
I tried the Herbies Tender Feet.  To me I notice no difference between them and the sorbathane feet.  At least the Tender Feet will not destroy the finish on my furniture.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

4krow

Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
Deb,
   I'll second that! The Sorbothane has to be watched for it's wicked traits. I've ruined a couple of paint in the learning curve. I might try the Tenderfeet....we'll see.

Offline KevO

Reply #68 on: April 28, 2013, 04:45:35 PM
I've been tweaking all day. Had to re-tube the Transporter. The Beepre is so transparent I was hearing 1's and 0's.

The old preamps didn't resolve as much detail so I tubed the Transporter to give me more detail. I had to dial it back for the Beepre.

Just put 3 Mapleshade Isoblocks under the Beepre. $24 for 4. No marks on the shelf from Isoblocks.

That brought everything together! Beautiful, musical mid-range, great bass and flawless highs.

Now how long can I keep my hands off? I might need the Vikem rings....

Kevin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:15:03 AM by KevO »

Offline caffeinator

Reply #69 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:36 PM
Yeah, the damper rings may not be ideal on the Paramount.

I just happened to read this thread after returning from being away for the weekend.  I read where sssly's damper rings melted onto his tubes.

I turned to look at my Paramounts, onto which I'd placed some of those same rings.  Turns out I'd left them on all weekend long while I was gone.

Fortunately, it made it easy to lift the rings off (with some cloth insulation - they were warm!).

Turns out, they kind of melt and scorch or burn....otoh, they're easy to lift off when hot.

Offline xcortes

Reply #70 on: May 01, 2013, 04:50:33 PM
Vibrapods with cork circles underneath to protect the shelves. Don't notice really much difference vs the stock feet. But can't hurt particularly since the BeePre shares the shelf sith the rumbly idler wheel tt.

Xavier Cortes

Offline docbob52

Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 06:07:24 AM
What size and hardness of sorbathane for use on the Paramounts?

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

4krow

Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 08:18:28 AM
Sorbothane has different densities, as you already know. At the Sorbothane website there information regarding which density will accomidate the given weight.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #73 on: March 15, 2014, 03:35:14 PM
A quick update, I'm happy with the Tender Feet purchase.  The other halves that Dan had recommended worked well but are less than 50% of their original height and mark up anything they are placed on as others have observed.  The Tender Feet make as much of a difference and hold their shape without marking what they are placed on.

Aaron Johnson

Offline ewingfox

Reply #74 on: January 07, 2017, 07:40:33 PM
EDIT ** - Asked and answered.  I'm a dope.  it is 2am, so I don't feel too badly.  the other sizes were different weights. Here is the new link:

https://www.belart.com/bel-art-f18307-0005-round-0-5lb-lead-ring-flask-weight-with-vikem-vinyl-coating-for-125-500ml-flasks.html

So apparently since Doc released his secret regarding the .5lb tube damping rings, Bellart has widened their offerings to include different width flask sizes.  Not being up on my standard lab grade equipment measurements, anyone have some guidance here?  The link provided :

http://www.belart.com/shop/183070005-vikemreg-vinyl-coated-lead-ring-p-183070005.html

Is also no longer valid, but after 3+ years, not a surprise.

Thanks in advance!

Ewing
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:10:56 PM by ewingfox »