Upgrade Capacitors

rockpassion · 8872

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 08:01:34 AM
It's also important to consider the AC component, especially with those parallel feed capacitors.  In the Stereomour, for example, we have 300V DC plate to cathode across the cap, but when you put signal through that 2A3, there's  potentially 120V of AC plate signal riding on top of that.  A 400V-500V rated cap is not going to like this, but the 630V cap has the margin tolerate this abuse. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 02:42:20 AM
Voltage ratings are a bit of an over-simplification. Here's a 4-page white paper from CDE:

http://www.cde.com/resources/catalogs/filmAPPguide.pdf

On page 3 at the bottom right there is a plot of lifetime vs. temperature and voltage, which gives a more nuanced picture.
It's also important to consider the AC component, especially with those parallel feed capacitors.  In the Stereomour, for example, we have 300V DC plate to cathode across the cap, but when you put signal through that 2A3, there's  potentially 120V of AC plate signal riding on top of that.  A 400V-500V rated cap is not going to like this, but the 630V cap has the margin tolerate this abuse. 
Paul & P.B.
Excellent resource and information guys.
Always learning and moving forward.
Thanks

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 07:05:02 AM
Paul, or anyone, do you hav another source for the Russian caps you mentioned?  I was scouring eBay and cannot find those particular ones, and I like the looks of them as they have a 1% tolerance.  If I find a pair I'm going to shoot them out against the mundorf sio that I have in there now.

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 06:43:36 AM
@Analogluvr It seems the K73 line of Russian caps came in a few different flavors/packages.

There is seller from Ukraine advertising packs of 8 of the K73-16 variant for $30. These are PETP but axial mount, reasonably sized, and probably actually easier to use in the build.

However, before you go running off to buy them from that guy, the reason I know this is because I just got a pack of 8 in for my BeePre - but I don't need the other 4  ;)

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to experiment with these at cost.

Offline kip.duff

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 01:31:31 PM
@Analogluvr It seems the K73 line of Russian caps came in a few different flavors/packages.

There is seller from Ukraine advertising packs of 8 of the K73-16 variant for $30. These are PETP but axial mount, reasonably sized, and probably actually easier to use in the build.

However, before you go running off to buy them from that guy, the reason I know this is because I just got a pack of 8 in for my BeePre - but I don't need the other 4  ;)

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to experiment with these at cost.

I'm starting to build my BeePre- I'll buy them if still available and the other member doesn't want them.   :)

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 05:09:33 PM
Hello All,

I replaced the 10uf coupling capacitors with the Russian Teflon FT3 Capacitors.  While they are not nearly broken in I have noticed a major improvement in the bass, it is now much deeper and more powerful.  The next thing is clarity in the soundstage.  I can really hear instruments more distinctly and clearer placement.  Plus, there is just an overall smoothness I did not have before.  The highs have mellowed a little (which is good in my system) but they are still real nice.

All in all, given input by others these might take up to 400 hours to break in.  Should be a fun journey. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline cktc

Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 12:59:50 PM
I don't see Russian Teflon FT3 has 10uf big values? are you using small value like 0.1uf to bypass the original 10uf?

Offline Chris65

Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:24 PM
I don't see Russian Teflon FT3 has 10uf big values?

They don't, well not that I've seen. Generally available are 0.1, 0.22 & 0.47uF values.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 09:44:45 AM
Gentlemen,

You are right, the capacitors are K75-10V, PIO.  Sorry about that.  The FT3's were put in my Eros. 

Even these I believe are much better than the stock Capacitors.  The big issue is the size.  They are about 3 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter.  The fit but just barely. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline aroide

Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 04:02:06 PM
I had upgraded my caps with Claritycap MR 10uf and have been happy with the sound for a few years.  But Icant leave well enough alone.

I had 4 Mundorf Supreme silver/gold/oil 2.7uF caps I intended for my Rogue Atlas Magnum amp, but they won't fit.  So I put 2 in my quickie preamp (effectively tripling the cost of the quickie) in the bedroom and WOW what a change.

I just replaced the Claritycaps in my Bee Pre with the Mundorfs and after 75 hours or so of breaking so far, they are taking my sound to another level of imaging and 'booginess'.  I'm sitting here listening to Elton John on vinyl and can't stop moving.  At 20 hours they sounded horrible like a really cheap cartridge.  I'm guessing I need 150 hrs or so to be considered fully settled in.

Question on the value of 2.7uF vs original 10uF... I've read in other threads that this value should be fine for coupling.  But should I be concerned about anything? Rogue has 1Mohm input impedance.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline oltmb

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 11:11:31 PM
There is an online calculator on the V-Cap website that helps you to determine the right capacitance for your system. Very useful.

Main System:
Sonus Faber Olympica III
McIntosh MA7900
iFi iUSB 3.0
Tara Labs Cables
Macbook Pro/Audirvana/Dirac
ISOL-8 Wave Power Conditioner

Second System:
Beepre
NAIM NAP100
Focal Aria 900
Chord 2Qute DAC

Offline oltmb

Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 01:57:34 AM
I purchased the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold 3.3 uF and when they arrived they looked too big to mount them. So I decided to put them on eBay, but there were no buyers and they were lying on my desk and I decided to give it a try. I mounted one on the orginal position and the other one was mounted vertical as the BeeQuiet was taking up space. The leads of the Mundorf capacitors are thick and by soldering they would stay in position but I used tie-wraps to fix them.

The sound impression after power-on was noticably better, more open and detailed but I need to have them run in for some time.

(https://image.ibb.co/kpHTWQ/Mundorf.gif)

Main System:
Sonus Faber Olympica III
McIntosh MA7900
iFi iUSB 3.0
Tara Labs Cables
Macbook Pro/Audirvana/Dirac
ISOL-8 Wave Power Conditioner

Second System:
Beepre
NAIM NAP100
Focal Aria 900
Chord 2Qute DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 04:46:19 AM
If we made a preamp as big as a Volkswagen someone would make a capacitor as big as a Cadillac, and someone else would be determined to put it in the preamp.  ;)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:35 AM

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:59 AM
That's great, you should have your own badge made...John

John S.