Is SEx the best kit of all?

John EH · 10108

Offline sbelyo

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 04:01:48 PM
What now?!   Is Magnequest involved?

Offline glitches

Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:40:13 AM
Are the guys saying SEX is the best also used mainline?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:52:43 AM
I'll just remind everyone that our philosophy has always been that there is no overall "best". There is only what is best for you in a given situation. Otherwise we would make just one kit instead of so many. You have to consider the source component, headphones/speakers, your listening taste, just to name a few things.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glitches

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:31 AM
I read the page, "Which amp is best for my headphoes" and wasn't sure if it was SEX or mainline. Ive ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-3 but it only mentions that both amps are good. Part of me is wondering if the mainline would be better because it will use a twisted pair rca cable giving it less distortion. Is this true?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 07:10:47 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about re cables. I listened to some Audezes a couple weeks ago and on the system we were listening to (Lampizator, some prototype Shunyata interconnect cables - maybe silver plated copper?) they sounded better with the S.E.X. amp than the Mainline. If I had to guess I would guess that this front end was a touch more aggressive on top than my own system and thus the mellowness of the S.E.X. was a good match. Audezes are very good but not suited to my particular taste as I find them to have a bit mid-prominent coloration, so I may not be the person to ask. The other listeners did however feel the S.E.X. amp was best with them as well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glitches

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 09:33:40 AM
I may not be understanding wiring just right yet, sorry. ;D I was under the impression that you get more signal with a twisted pair cable than you would on the single ended cable thus concluding that you might here something more alone on just that. But then again I heard twisted pair can have more noise. I'm really new here so sorry, not trying to mislead. Thanks for replying about your Audeze experience. Just out of curiosity, what headphones are suited for the Doc? :D

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 10:02:36 AM
You don't get more signal from one kind of cable or the other. But if you run a single ended cable on a balanced output ofttimes you have to reconfigure the output in such a way that it only gives you half the level. That is not the case with the Mainline or S.E.X.

At this time I switch between lightly modded HD800s and K1000s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glitches

Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:41 PM
Is that because the mainline is also a single ended amp?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:19 PM
Is that because the mainline is also a single ended amp?
The Mainline circuit topology is single ended, but it has both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline DDDamian

Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 08:35:09 AM
You don't get more signal from one kind of cable or the other. But if you run a single ended cable on a balanced output ofttimes you have to reconfigure the output in such a way that it only gives you half the level. That is not the case with the Mainline or S.E.X.

At this time I switch between lightly modded HD800s and K1000s.

Just curious - is that the Anaxilus mod with the foam ring?

@glitches - I have paired both the HD-800 and Audeze LCD2.2(pre-fazor) with a S.E.X 2.0 with C4S upgrade along with upgraded output transformers to bring it closer to 2.1 standards. With it are some Mundorf Supreme capacitors in the signal path.

I also have a BH Crack + Speedball with some very nice tubes and a few miscellaneous upgrades.

IMO the HD-800 works very well with both amps, and my Audeze's work very well with the S.E.X amp. If I had an overall preference it's for the S.E.X amp in part for its more refined sound and in part for its ability to drive almost anything. The Crack is incredible for its price and endless mod/rolling options, but the S.E.X would be my current desert-island amp, and I think that's the jist of this thread.

If you're torn on which BH amp to go with (and I'm assuming this thread caught your eye because of that) my 2c would be to not worry so much about the cabling at this point. You have LCD-3's inbound, a TOTL set of cans for sure. I can tell you the S.E.X will drive them very very well. There is power a-plenty for planars. Add in the cost of the C4S upgrade and some cap upgrades (if you go that route) and you may find the Mainline is the way to go. There's a lot of truth in what many Head-Fi'ers have found: get the best and you save a lot of experiment-money along the way. For others that's a well-spent part of the journey, and certainly something many Bottleheader's have been through with no regrets at all - just the enjoyment of DIY and upgrading your way to your own personal goals.

Wish I could tell you if the Mainline is a better choice for those LCD-3's, but I haven't heard it yet. I can only say the S.E.X is a great pairing with 2.2's and any other can I've thrown at them. Don't get caught up in the cabling thing.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 08:43:16 AM
Yes, the Anax mod.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DDDamian

Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
Yes, the Anax mod.

Cheers - haven't gone that route yet but I will. The straight-up HD-800 hit my treble-sensitive ears like a wall of yikes at first glance. EQ'd them at first, paired them with an overly-warm Gustard H-10 next, and gradually weaned myself off both. Back to the Crack and S.E.X with them un-EQ'd and rarely cringe lol. But....as much as I love their detail and other plusses they were hot off the shelf. I come from the dark side (LCD's, 650's etc) and I credit brain burn-in, nothing else.

Now well-adjusted (?!) I love them with my Crack or SEX, and the Mainline crowd is swearing by them. The Anax mod is coming, and the Mainline :)

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 12:38:04 PM
I love them with my Crack or SEX, and the Mainline crowd is swearing by them. The Anax mod is coming, and the Mainline :)

There is a nice progression through the three amps each offering a different listening experience.
The Mainline HD800 is a superb combo I have never found the need to mod them myself but may try the Anax mod at some point even if its purely out of curiosity.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline DDDamian

Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 05:13:20 AM
There is a nice progression through the three amps each offering a different listening experience.
The Mainline HD800 is a superb combo I have never found the need to mod them myself but may try the Anax mod at some point even if its purely out of curiosity.

Doing the Anax 2.0 today with a little foam and some kinda beaded open stuff used for lining toolbox drawers - similar to the pics here: http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,497.msg9987.html#msg9987

If it alters them too much I'll scale it back to the original mod with just the foam ring / trapezoid.

In the meantime, the S.E.X. is killer with the pre-fazor LCD2.2's - just a great experience.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 10:32:01 AM
I just had to bump this thread.
 I'm in my office where the SEX is now playing signal from my old SIRIUS car tuner through some NHT SuperZeros. I turned around to see who was walking in, whistling along with the blues tune playing, just to find out it was the recording.
If it isn't the best kit of all it must be pretty d^*n close!
Thanks again Doc and crew,
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77