Glad this kit is coming back!

physicsmajor · 8655

Offline crizq0

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 05:58:05 PM
Is there a need for a C4S Upgrade Kit for the SEX 3.0?

On the fence to either pre-order or wait to see what's in store for black friday/cyber monday.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:02:13 PM by crizq0 »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 06:52:15 AM
The C4S will be released sometime next year.

Orders for this kit are coming in. At the close of the preorder period, parts will be ordered to the quantities required. If you choose wait longer to place your order, you will not be in the first batch, and therefore will have to wait longer for shipping.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Wizzie

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 11:33:30 PM
Is the much choice of different tubes and will tube rolling see significant improvement?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:36:29 PM by Wizzie »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:57 AM
Is the much choice of different tubes and will tube rolling see significant improvement?

There are a fair number of variants in the 6FJ7, with a mix of gray and black plates.  Luckily, however, I haven't run into any series heater configurations, so that will be completely consistent. 

IMO, tube rolling was never a particularly important consideration in the 6DN7 kit. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Wizzie

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:59 PM
There are a fair number of variants in the 6FJ7, with a mix of gray and black plates.  Luckily, however, I haven't run into any series heater configurations, so that will be completely consistent. 

IMO, tube rolling was never a particularly important consideration in the 6DN7 kit.

Thanx heaps for the info

I am looking forward to the assembly of my kit when it becomes available

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 02:14:15 PM
I'm in. You have my pre-order and I threw in a Stereomour II shunt regulator upgrade for good measure.  :)

When people come over to my house and they hear the S.E.X. amp they want one (and a set of Orca's). I've purchased two S.E.X. amps directly from Bottlehead and two used, unassembled kits from private parties in the past. I only have one left. Thats gotta tell you something. Keep up the good work, Bottlehead! You guys rock.

Tom AKA "Natural Sound" in Albuquerque.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 03:38:49 PM
Thanks Tom, and thanks to everyone who has preordered!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 09:30:13 AM
Given the similarity of the circuit to the 2.1 version, will the output (parafeed) capacitor for the 3.0 also be rated as a 1.5 uF?

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 10:36:26 AM
Given the similarity of the circuit to the 2.1 version, will the output (parafeed) capacitor for the 3.0 also be rated as a 1.5 uF?
Yes.

The calculated nominal is 1.25uF so 1.0uF is as good as 1.5uF. You could experiment, going as low as 0.625uF, or as high as 2.5uF. The smaller values will give better deep-bass power with less extension, but there is substantial interaction with the speaker and the listening room.

Paul Joppa

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:27 AM
Yes.

The calculated nominal is 1.25uF so 1.0uF is as good as 1.5uF. You could experiment, going as low as 0.625uF, or as high as 2.5uF. The smaller values will give better deep-bass power with less extension, but there is substantial interaction with the speaker and the listening room.

PJ, I've seen you discuss this before.  Does that mean the bass will have more oomph but not go as low with the smaller values (taking the speaker/room variables out of the equation)?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:06:23 AM by Sugar Man »

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 09:57:45 AM
That would be a reasonable paraphrase of my post. But you can't really take the speaker/room out of consideration; the possible interactions are too complex to trust analyses. Listen and learn.

Paul Joppa

Offline crizq0

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 06:31:13 AM
Just placed my order. 8)
Now I just need to look into some affordable speakers to go with it. Wish I could afford orcas.

Offline BNAL

Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 07:52:04 AM
For speakers you can look at the Madisound Fostex kits. They look interesting and reasonably priced.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 11:04:41 AM
FYI - I have used 1.0uF with wonderful success, and it seems that a greater selection of capacitors with sufficient voltage rating is available in this capacitance value.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:27 PM
Thanks, P.B.
I used some Mundorf 1.5 uf in my S.E.S. 2.1 because that is what came with the kit.
I'll try using the same caps in 1.0uf in my 3.0 when it arrives, probably in January.

Also, I plan to install the C4S for the S.E.X. 3.0 when it is available.  For those of us that will be assemblying the kit before the availability of the C4S, can we be told where it will be mounted, the individual components that will be removed (if any), etc.? This informtion can help us during the initial assembly to be prepared for the C4S upgrade.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.