Bottlehead Fantasy Products/Wish List

Dr. Toobz · 8628

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: September 19, 2011, 05:29:01 PM
Just curious: if Bottlehead would make your dream kit, what would it look like? For example, a tube-buffered DSD dac? An all-tube analog tuner? Or, an 833 SET? I thought it would be fun to hear what other people secretly wish BH would offer as the next "official" kit (even if we know there is no possibility!). 

My wish isn't all that crazy: I would readily pony up for a Stereomour-type integrated amp kit that used 300B tubes for 8W output, single ended, with choked DC filaments, a shorting headphone jack, active plate loads, three inputs, a stepped attenuator volume control, and selectable impedance OPT's. Sort of like a SEX amp, expect with 8W output of DHT goodness.

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:53 PM
OTL SET preamp and OTL SET amps. 1000mW is enough for the latter. Of course with SR and active loading. I love my Paramounts. There's no better amps in the world. But I'd love to try OTLs ala Doc and PJ.

Xavier Cortes

Offline wylymon

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:14:45 AM
I would love to see an active crossover for Klipsch Heritage speakers.

James Wyly

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:12 PM
OTL SET preamp and OTL SET amps. 1000mW is enough for the latter. Of course with SR and active loading. I love my Paramounts. There's no better amps in the world. But I'd love to try OTLs ala Doc and PJ.

Ah yes, this one interests me. The elusive element is a modern speaker with an 800 ohm voice coil. Anybody have a pair of Philips 9710AMs?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:41 PM
The active crossover is a great idea! How about a music server?
Doesn't need to be too complicated and would be a good precursor to the BH DAC.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:57:22 PM by John Roman »

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Wanderer

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:58:19 AM
I would love to see an active crossover for Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Yes, active crossover! Somebody was talking using Quickie as a base for an active crossover.   

Kevin R-M

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:07 AM
We will be redesigning the active crossovers in the Bottlehead system soon, and perhaps a kit will spin off as a result.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline keto

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:08 AM
Here's a pair of those Phillips... http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/15/158003.html Of course you could always just add 10:1 step-down errrr.... transformer :-).

Here are a pair of top plates from FPE for an active 12AU7-based XO experimental platform. Stereo input, up to 4 pairs of outputs, 2 octal VR's and a PGP8.1. The PGP has a 6.3V@2mA heater secondary, so in practice, it should be good for up to 6 12AU7's with AC heaters or 3 with DC heaters. Hoping to get away with AC, of course. Anyone want a copy, I'll send a file.

Tom Jones

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:24 AM
Here's a pair of those Phillips...
Only the -AM version is 800 ohms. They were mostly 8 ohm, with a few 400 and 800 ohm versions. They also came with or without the whizzer, so quite a variety of "Philips 9710" models.

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:28 AM
Crack build went well, it's quiet and sounds great.  Seduction build went well and it's quiet and sounds great.

FPIII build is going well so far.  My wish list, only one thing  ...  please let it be quiet :-)  ... if so, Im sure it will sound great.

Desmond G.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:28:58 AM
How about speakers again?

I do realize the issue with a speaker being developed then the drivers going out of production or changing specs. That is very frustrating I am sure.

We are talking "Fantasy" however.     

Kevin R-M

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:37 AM
How about speakers again?

How about plasma headphones? They could come with a bottle of sunscreen for your ears and one of those fan hats to blow away the ozone. ;^)>

I would like to do a from the ground up speaker development, see my comments about 800 ohm drivers above. We will need some serious investors to support all of the R&D you guys are asking us to do!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:59 AM
How about a true tube DAC, not only use tubes in the output stage but replace the microprocessor/s with tubes as well. You could call it the EniDAC, probably cost half our national debt and might fit in a room the size of an average basement. Seriously, I would like to see a 300B based headphone/integrated amp kit. Something similar to the Cary amp or the Chinese version Grant Fidelity sells.

Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:00 AM
Early tubed computers took up a whole building and didn't have the processing power of a PC today.  I'm not sure this could fit into the Bottlehead base.  Not even a really, really big one.  (carrying the joke a little further)

How about a true tube DAC, not only use tubes in the output stage but replace the microprocessor/s with tubes as well. You could call it the EniDAC, probably cost half our national debt and might fit in a room the size of an average basement.    .  .  . 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 09:38:02 AM
John Swenson and I talked through what would be involved in an all tube DAC, with me being the lunatic and John being the voice of reason. The biggest issue was the amount of power required for all the heaters and heat produced. I think I figured we could fit it on a couple of large relay racks. All those flip flops would take a lotta tubes, and then you would have to hire those ladies in June Cleaver dresses to change out the tubes.

Here's a conceptual image of the power supply

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tcf.ua.edu%2FClasses%2FJbutler%2FT389%2FENIACrear.JPG&hash=3c439c0600012279b40684dafcd26cbb7ca31eed)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.