Output setting on interface to Crack with Speedball

RetroJonezin · 945

Offline RetroJonezin

on: December 06, 2016, 05:54:14 PM
Hey all,

Just built my first crack with speedball, turned out awesome.  Pic attached.  Quick question, I am using line outs from a focusrite sapphire 26 to input into the crack.  If I do full line out without adjusting the output level in the virtual mixer in the saffire mixamp software the amp is very sensitive to the point that I even 1/4 turn on the volume is pretty loud.   In the manual for the line outs it says Nominal output level: 0 dBFS = 16 dBu, balanced.  With this should I dial my level out to -16 for best performance.  I have my line out 5 going left and line out 6 right channel and it sounds awesome, but I do not want to ruin anything.  I'm using hd800's with a gold lion 12au7 and a Winged "C" 6AS7G which I am really enjoying.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:42:11 PM
Just turn the mixer down to where you are happy with the knob setting on the Crack. The level numbers don't have much importance if you are just listening to playback.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pemberley

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:55 AM
Just turn the mixer down to where you are happy with the knob setting on the Crack. The level numbers don't have much importance if you are just listening to playback.

I thought the proper way to do this was to leave the volume all the way up on the mixer/interface, installing a resistor across the attenuator if necessary.  Won't you be getting extra noise by making the amp operate closer to the high end of its gain range?

MOTU 16A -> Crack with Speedball -> HD600

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:00:45 AM
You would have to determine for yourself if you notice more noise. I would put actual practice ahead of theory in this case, and just try different level settings.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline RetroJonezin

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:04:03 AM
Awesome, thanks for the replies.  I turned it down slightly and the volume gives a bit more control.  I could add the resistors though.  My interface allows be to control level on each output so it's not a huge concern. 

Thanks again.