Desolder tool: Don't live in the dark.

DoS · 4055

Offline DoS

on: January 29, 2013, 02:55:47 PM
This thing changed soldering forever, for me. It is cheap, the build quality isn't amazing. You have to clean it out sometimes. But life without a solder sucker that doesn't heat the solder, is fine. Often the holes are entirely clean. Sometimes it takes a touch of the iron to separate the component from the PCB/part, but no big deal as when it isn't touching, it isn't in a pool of solder any longer.

There are very expensive units that are better but... I figured most people could tolerate the only low end unit worth using. If you got the money who wouldn't want a ? But for now life is still much richer without having to be so damn fast.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:29 PM
That's pretty neat. I have a full on desolder station with a motorized pump, that got busted a few years ago. It is awesome, but around $400 to replace. PB fell in love with the cheapo plunger desolderer we have at work, basically a non heated version of what you bought. He loves it, I think it's a PITA because you have to move really fast to get the solder out before it cools. So your solution looks like a great compromise. I think I'll buy one for Peebs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:30 AM
Amen to you both.  First, I think those are good links.  I'll have to bookmark the tool.  Maybe in a week or so.

I started with a solder sucker and ended up with solder wick.  Dan is sooooo right, you have to move fast to get the sucker placed and push the button.

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:51 AM
Haha, I love my cheapo non-electric desoldering pump just like PB. I actually have a cheapie one that cost a couple of bucks and a more expensive one (~$15). and I like the cheap one better. As long as the tip is teflon you can get them to last for quite some time.

I may eventually have to try that PartsExpress version, looks like it might make things slightly easier.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:14:42 AM
Haha, I love my cheapo non-electric desoldering pump just like PB. I actually have a cheapie one that cost a couple of bucks and a more expensive one (~$15). and I like the cheap one better. As long as the tip is teflon you can get them to last for quite some time.

I may eventually have to try that PartsExpress version, looks like it might make things slightly easier.

I have 2, one $$, the other $...both have removable, replaceable tips.  They both function the same, the more expensive pump is smoother to cock and on release.  Does make a bit of difference.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:45 AM
No doubt, every situation requires a different technic. I was having fits removing IC's from circuit boards, when I found 'chipquik'. GOOD LORD, where has that been all my life. I used it as described, and never burnt another trace. The, just as importantly, I bought a solder station as recommended on this site, and NEVER looked back. Didn't know what I was missing! ANd yes, I use a solder sucker at times too.

Offline DoS

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:56:43 AM
No doubt, every situation requires a different technic. I was having fits removing IC's from circuit boards, when I found 'chipquik'. GOOD LORD, where has that been all my life. I used it as described, and never burnt another trace. The, just as importantly, I bought a solder station as recommended on this site, and NEVER looked back. Didn't know what I was missing! ANd yes, I use a solder sucker at times too.

That stuff looks great. I'll use it if I need to save the chip. Otherwise I just cut all the pins with razor blade then use iron to flick off the pins. (they key is to repeat cutting motion, if you press you could cause damage)

4krow

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
The cool part is that once you get used to it, it doesn't take as much. I really like the liquid flux that comes in the kit. I just cut the very tip off the little tube, and it fits right over the IC pin on the trace side of the board. I was screwing up traces and everything and felt like a real fool until I got this stuff. But,,,just as important was the decent soldering station that I bought from Parts Express. Not top of the line, but at $40 on sale, it has already paid for itself. My work looks decent now. With the ChipQuik, watch out for little solder bridges, it can drive ya nutty.

Offline DoS

Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:06 PM
Adjustable stations are pro.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:05 AM
Thanks DoS and Greg -- goint to pick up both of these to add to my arsenal.  I love my Weller aluminum pump --very nicely made, super spring, and amazing suction power -- between that and a variety of different thickness of desolder braid, I've been pretty consistent with desoldering, but I think these two new tools will be really useful as well.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)