Digital multimeters

dbishopbliss · 9006

Offline dbishopbliss

on: August 23, 2010, 08:35:06 AM
I just got an electronics catalog today and it has a number of benchtop True RMS multimeters in it.  I bought my multimeter at Radio Shack 10 years ago for probably $20 or less.  I'm wondering what advantage a $200+ meter has.  Should I put one on my Christmas list (planning early).

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:22 AM
Boy, as far as accuracy is concerned, I really can't say if there is much of a difference.  For the most part, "Benchtop" seems to always be more expensive than portable.

I like a meter that handles more complex AC waveforms than just sine waves, but I really can't say what specs describe that ability.  The ability to accurately measure AC riding on top of DC is good, too, but again, I don't know what spec describes this.

You might see something that has additional features you might find useful.  Recently, I would have liked a meter to check a high Voltage diode out of a microwave oven; turns out most meters don't supply enough Voltage to turn one of those on.  I have a meter with the capability to test frequency in the audio bandwidth which is useful, and it also has a limited range of capacitance reading; it won't check capacitance at anything near operating Voltage, though, so it is pretty limited.

If I was to go for something strictly for use on the bench, though, I think I might opt for one with a large LED display so that it is easy to read from a distance and at an angle.  LCDs are great for saving batteries, but if saving batteries is not the issue, then big and bright is preferable, IMO.

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:40 AM
In some cases, a "true RMS" meter will also have a wide frequency range. My ancient Fluke is good to about 100kHz - most meters don't give decent AC readings above a few kHz.

True RMS gets you the effective heating value of current even when the load is nonlinear. Mostly useful to check power consumption of an amp, or the heating load on a power transformer winding where the rectifier/filter is quite nonlinear.

A low-ohms range, like 20 ohms full scale, is useful for checking transformer windings and speaker voice coil resistances - but I don't think there are any such these days for less than $2000.

I don't trust inductance meters for audio devices, they are designed to measure RF components. But I do use the capacitance measurement sometimes.

My two cents.

Paul Joppa

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:01 AM
My Fluke 26 has a 40 Ohm range, at only a couple of hundred dollars; of course, I have no real idea how accurate it is, especially right of the decimal!

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:35:11 PM
That auction site has good used Flukes that are true RMS reading for under $80, sometimes going for under $50. 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 04:30:46 PM
My Fluke 26 has a 40 Ohm range, at only a couple of hundred dollars; of course, I have no real idea how accurate it is, especially right of the decimal!
Cool! Excellent news; I'd given up looking some years ago.

Paul Joppa

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:40:46 PM
No, you probably don

John S.

Offline JC

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:55:50 PM
Well, Paul, now I'm wondering if the 26 is even still available.  IIRC, it was the "ruggedized" version of a 77, and came with flat-sided probes for easy insertion into outlets.

I think the 77, at least, is still available, though it must be up to model IV or V by now.

In either case, they claim accuracy to .1 Ohm, and I will say that the 40 Ohm range, which is also the range with the audible continuity beeper, has been very useful.

Jim C.

Offline Ritchie

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:32:41 AM
Another thing to consider is safety depending on your budget.
As you get into the better meters they will have a fuse in the current circuit. A very good safety feature in case you ever accidentally check voltage while on the current circuit.
Check for this when looking as it is a very important safety feature especially if you are using the meter for current and voltage measurements. If your not sure ask the seller if it has a fused current circuit or check the specs on the manufacturers website.

Thanks,
Ritchie

Ritchie M.

crack/speedball as preamp,linn lp12 w/radikal/keel/urika phono, linn majik 4100 active monoblocks,linn majik isobarik speakers(active).

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:43:18 AM
I can't recommend Fluke meters enough. Lifetime warranty, great accuracy. I've never seen one break except for one guy who tried to measure 6kV without a high voltage probe. They're pricey, but even the 115 base model has great features and it'll last forever.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline JC

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:46:48 AM
So very true.  The meter I referred to above has a separate 10 Amp current range which uses a separate fuse and even a separate input jack.

My only regret is that the 10 Amp fuse is a cartridge that is not readily available at Radio Shack or the hardware or automotive store.  I either have to mail-order it or pay an astronomical price at the local parts "distributor".

So, it pays to check the fuse type your meter uses and keep a spare in stock!

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:47:22 AM
I can't recommend Fluke meters enough. Lifetime warranty, great accuracy. I've never seen one break except for one guy who tried to measure 6kV without a high voltage probe. They're pricey, but even the 115 base model has great features and it'll last forever.

The answer is to buy used.  You pay $50 to $80 for a meter you will use the rest of your life and it is a good deal.  You will never have to buy another.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:32:38 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline denti alligator

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:19 PM
I'm replying to some advice given in the thread on essential tools.

Where can I get a used Fluke for close to $50?  Ebay certainly doesn't seem like the place.
Money is an issue, so if I can't find one for that price, I may go with a cheaper one, like this Velleman. If it can read as accurately as the Fluke, that may be my best bet. I don't foresee using this too often. Just want to build two, maybe three amps from Bottlehead.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 01:11:30 PM
I won't use up Doc's space with posts on auctions that will be useless in a week.  PM me and I will send you some links of promising meters.

After a few minutes of searching I see a Fluke 77 with probes and the rubber case with a buy it now of $49.  That is under $50.  If you are interested PM me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:55:10 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline denti alligator

Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:27:05 PM
How do I tst a multimeter once I have it to make sure it's working properly? Can I do that without any parts from Bottlehead?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable