Trouble with iron upgrade installation

Pfenning · 5955

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
on: May 06, 2012, 10:10:55 AM
I have had my iron upgrade for years, and finally got around to installing it this weekend. The first amp went great and works fine. The second one seemed to go easier than the first, but I don't get any sound out of the amp. I rechecked all the connections, and everything looks solid. I can't find my original manual, I only have my c4s installation manual. I checked the voltages from the c4s manual and all looks good except the B6 which is 215 VDC instead of 155 VDC. Does anyone have a scan of the last page of the manual? I could use it to check out all the connection points and track down my issue. Anyone have an idea where I should look? Thanks.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:03:26 AM
Which model amp and which transformer upgrade are you referring to.  I'm guessing Paramour?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:48:42 AM
If it's Paramour, check the DC resistance of the transformer primary - IIRC, red and blue wires.

Paul Joppa

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:46:48 PM
Yes it's Paramour, sorry. Paul, how do I check it? Measure the ohm reading across the red and blue wires?

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:06:03 PM
Yes, unplug and test the wires.  As long as it is unplugged and you can get to the red and blue wires you are measuring the primary.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:05 PM
I flipped it over with the power disconnected and the tubes in. The DVM started out at about 23 mega ohms, slowly drifted down to about 19 mega ohms, then drifted back up to about 23 mega ohms before it stopped and now reads open. I took the meter off and on several times and can't get a reading now. It just shows open. Does that make any sense?

Pfenning

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:35 AM
It should measure low ohms.  If you were not measuring through an open power switch it sounds like the primary winding opened.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:38 AM
I'm not sure what your reply means. I measured the ohms at tab 25 and 11 where the red and blue connect. Do I need to disconnect those wires from the circuit and check the ohms? Is the floating reading due to the capacitors hooked to tab 11 and 25?

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:41:07 AM
No, if you measured at the transformer lugs it sounds like the transformer is open.  I'm not as familiar with the windings of this transformer as Paul Joppa.  So do tab 25 and tab 11 go to the incoming neutral and the power switch? 

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:00:48 AM
Grainger, it's the output transformer - not the power transformer.

Pfenning, it sounds like the primary winding is open-circuited. Measure the channel that IS working to confirm that the right measurement is being made. You should see about 240 ohms.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:19 AM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FCorrected.gif&hash=ed455e99407d97b390186a6f4d6be3ed31cef8d5)

See, smiley faces work for me.  Now that I'm on the same page...

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FSlapHead.gif&hash=fcbf69d3b645fcd6b78239b0b0dfb85e5a677484)

One of the output transformer wires should be connected on the one side of the Parafeed cap and the other is most often at ground, choose one there are several.  There is another way to do it depending on the iron selected.  There is a good description on VoltSecond's site:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/SlapHead.gif

I can paraphrase his "Other Way To Parafeed" by saying that the wire that usually goes to ground ends up at the cathode instead.  Highly recommended if the iron is good for it.

I do have a Paramour manual.  I can scan, can't print it jams, but I can send either a .PDF or .JPG file to you.

PM your email, which I think I already have but just to be sure, PM.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
I'll check it tonight. What do I do if it's an open circuit?

Pfenning

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:07 AM
An open winding inside the transformer can not be fixed.  If it is at the winding attachments it can be fixed.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:13:18 PM
I'll check it tonight. What do I do if it's an open circuit?
Talk to Doc B. There are solutions, just a matter of deciding which one to support.

Paul Joppa

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:15 PM
Ok, so I admit I have very little experience with electronics. Forgive me if I ask stupid questions or don't understand the first time. I checked the working amp with my ohm meter at 25 and 11, and the meter flip flops between open and 0 ohms. I'm putting the positive lead of my meter on the connection at terminal 11, and the negative lead of my meter at terminal 25. When I rechecked the non working amp, it did the same thing as yesterday. I showed an ohm load, drifted down, drifted back up and then went to open. When I recheck it, it shows open, no ohm reading at all. I verified my leads are plugged into the ohm port on my meter and I even installed new batteries in the meter. 

Pfenning