Quickie mods

earwaxxer · 64029

Offline Chris

Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 11:42:42 AM
Not to be "Johnny Spellchecker" here..... Isnt it GRAMMAR?..... At first, I thought Paul was actually talking about a "real" Mr. Grammer, and again, ACTUALLY went scrolling for Mr. Grammer's post that Paul was correcting!  hahaha  Then, as I read it again, It hit me that he was referring to a grammatical error..... Yeah, yeah I know, I'm not very smart.... haha :)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 12:27:23 PM
Not to be "Johnny Spellchecker" here..... Isnt it GRAMMAR?.....
I have corrected my post, with some embarrassment. Guess that will teach me to be less pedantic, or at least post more carefully after the second eggnog.  :^)

It isn't isnt, it's isn't. Isn't it?  Haha, sorry, couldn't pass it up. Good thing this is a forum of friends!

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 01:29:16 PM
The thing is, I'm not shy about not being able to spell! I have been 'enabled' since a child, due to being a proficient mathematician. I would cheat on spelling tests and the teachers would just turn the other way! I dont let my son get away with that though..

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline mortron

Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 04:59:41 AM
4krow - Are you serious that dampening caps is beneficial, or was that post some humour outside of my range of comprehension?

Offline proud indian

Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:03 AM
 I did damp my Vcaps and did not find any benefit. But having the  cap secured, rather than having it dangling on its leads did matter. So, if that amounts to damping then maybe be it makes sense.  On the Quickie, I have the caps (obbligato) placed against the frame and I have some silicon adhesive ( the kind you use in fish tanks, the stuff that remains soft)placed on the cap and the frame. I does not move and hopefully the soft adhesive helps.

I have used this silicon gel to line my subs as well, to avoid air gaps, and at the same time ensure that it does not harden and crack , due to vibration. I have tried to post some pics of my rooms, but it seems that the upload area is full. Maybe Doc will be in better shape on the 2nd !!!

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

4krow

Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 12:43:34 PM
I damp (acoustically speaking) anything that has mass, hoping to make the mass combine with the structure of the chassis. Nothing really sounds different on it's own, so it takes combined effort make a small difference. Kinda like racing cars. Nothing on it's own stands out so much but tied together you might get another 1/4 second sliced off your race time.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 01:02:27 PM
agreed.... I believe there was an old saying 'damp it and forget it'. Or, something like that.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 07:46:20 PM
Haha , Oh, I see Mr. Paul is a "tit for tat" kinda guy...  :)  And the word "isnt" is what I always do only because I am just too damn lazy.... I am not in the correcting business, but, I thought it funny that I went on the hunt for a 'real' Mr. Grammer.... And No sweat, eggnog is pretty dang delicious... However, after the holidays, we will expect perfection from you Mr. Paul... haha kidding... Enjoy your holidays embarrassment free, we all know you are a sharp cookie...

Offline Brillo

Reply #68 on: February 03, 2013, 10:54:33 AM
Can someone confirm wiring for a TKD pot?  Same as stock part? 

Chris

Offline proud indian

Reply #69 on: February 04, 2013, 04:18:24 AM
Hell... its pain to take out all the IC's and take a pic, cause than I have to let the cables settle in again, but if you do not get a reply ( which I am sure you will ) then I will do it.

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline Brillo

Reply #70 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:15 AM
Thanks. I understand completely. The Parts Connexion product description of 'typical' balance pot wiring has introduced doubt (different than stock part), so do appreciate confirmation from anyone who's implemented a 2cp-601.

Chris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:58 AM
Brillo,

A balance control is much different from a volume pot.  Are you asking about a TDK volume or balance pot?  There is no balance pot on the stock Quickie.  You ask if the TDK is wired as the stock part.

If volume, look in Grainger's Corner (forum main page).  There is a FAQ thread that explains how to suss out what connector is which on an unknown volume pot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:33:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:39 PM

Eric

Offline wullymc

Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:00 PM
Hi guys,

I am planning on upgrading my quickie 1.1 and will do the following

1.  Install PJCCS

Then after some time upgrade the caps and potentiometer.

I have a question and hope you can help me.  The caps in the stock Quickie are 2.2uf 250vdc.  I have noticed in this thread that people have upgraded to 2.2uf 630vdc.  Obviously this works but I am wondering if when going back to do the voltage checks this would affect the readings?  I am thinking yes but would like to know how to calculate what the new voltages should be.

Also would their be able big difference between a 400vdc cap and 600vdc cap?

I hope these questions are too much but would like a better understanding.

Thanks for your replies....Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #74 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:57 AM
I do not believe that new caps will change the voltage readings. The voltage specification just determine's how much max voltage the cap can take.

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles