Quickie mods

earwaxxer · 64033

Offline wullymc

Reply #120 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:32 PM
Perfect!

thanks Eric & Rob.

Should I be worried about the Crack output caps though??

I like the Silver and Oil Eric.  I will be going with the Aluminum and Oil I think.  I'm excited to see if the sound difference will be noticeable.  I will be going with adamat suggestion and going with a VAL attenuator.  I am looking at the Quickie manual and trying to determine which spot each wire will go with the new attenuator.  Probably will have more questions.

Thanks again guys...
Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #121 on: June 17, 2013, 05:01:40 PM
Enjoy! - you can have a ton-o-fun modding this puppy. For not a ton of coin. I mean you may spend 2-3 times the asking price when you are done, but it will sound frikin fantastic.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #122 on: June 17, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
I just thought of a good shoot-out. A modded to the gills SET Quickie to a stock BeePre. Let the games begin!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #123 on: June 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM
"Should I be worried about the Crack output caps though??"

As you work on tube circuits, at typical tube voltages, it is never a bad idea to make sure the caps are drained, before you stick your mitts in there...John   

John S.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #124 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:07 PM
All capacitors in Bottlehead kits come with mechanisms to drain the charge after power has been turned off.

The larger concerns are the power supply capacitors, but it's adequate to just measure them and wait till they are down below 10V before working on the circuit.  Coupling caps are very small and have other parts in a given circuit that drain them down when the power is removed.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline wullymc

Reply #125 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:49 PM
Thanks everyone,

Off to order now!  Modding is fun!!

Take care...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline wullymc

Reply #126 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:50 AM
Well I got my Alum +oil caps yesterday and did the mod.  It's sounds nice.  Thanks everyone again!

Next the attenuator when it comes in.  I will have to figure out what wires from the original pot go where on the new attenuator...this is fun stuff!

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #127 on: June 22, 2013, 02:23:01 AM
An answer to your question about attenuator leads is in the FAQ thread in my corner.  Since no one has commented on it, I don't know if the instructions were concise enough.

Please read them and let me know if you follow it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:36:55 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline wullymc

Reply #128 on: June 22, 2013, 04:28:11 AM
Thanks Grainger.

I checked out you faq.  I will have to measure the resistance using your method.

I found this Site that seems to begood for info

Beavishifi.com/articles/Volume_Control

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #129 on: June 24, 2013, 04:13:39 PM
Well I got my Alum +oil caps yesterday and did the mod.  It's sounds nice.  Thanks everyone again!

Next the attenuator when it comes in.  I will have to figure out what wires from the original pot go where on the new attenuator...this is fun stuff!

Hey wullymc - curious as to exactly how the Alum/oil caps sound compared to the stock. Now that you have been listening to them for awhile. Are those the Mundorf Evo's? - thanks - Eric

Eric

Offline wullymc

Reply #130 on: June 24, 2013, 04:34:44 PM
Hey Eric,

I have only 3 hours in on them so far so I they obviously aren't burned in.  I don't have the best ears but what I can tell you is they are making the sound more intimate...like being there live.  The album that I can tell a big difference in is the 200g King Crimson - Court reissue.  The vocals are very smooth and clear.  The drums are unbelievable.  I am not a drummer but I believe it is a floor tom, you can really make out the hit and the resonnance.  I never noticed this before.

It is the Mundorf Evo Alum & Oil.  For $12 each I think it is a steal and would highly recommend it!  It is my first cap upgrade so I don't have much to go on other then comparing it to the stock ones.

Cheers!

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #131 on: June 24, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
Thanks Dave! I'm sure many will appreciate the review. We are all looking for that sort of thing (when you all of a sudden realize exactly what instrument you are hearing). Thats a cool thing. I remember noticing once that a certain chime sound was actually made of glass. Before the mod I didnt get that. Very cool!

Eric

Offline charger

Reply #132 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:04 PM
earwaxxer can I ask you where did you buy Tant resistors ?

Thank you

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #133 on: August 12, 2013, 03:44:30 AM
sure - Parts Connexion - they are in Canada, and DIYaudiosupply in China:
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/node/152
http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_shinkoh_half_watt.html

cheers!

Eric

Offline charger

Reply #134 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:34 AM
thank you very much , why values are not reported in Ohm ?   for example 4K3 what means ? 

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15