quickie pop or loud thump switching sources

underdawg · 1504

Offline underdawg

on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:28 AM
The last issue I have with the quickie is a loud pop or thump, however you want to call it, when switching sources on the selector switch, any ideas?
Thank you in advance for everyones insite.

Offline ssssly

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 AM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But when using the switch to go between sources, in the split second it takes to go from one to the other, the switch is an open circuit and will almost always give you the thump when it reconnects.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:14 AM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But when using the switch to go between sources, in the split second it takes to go from one to the other, the switch is an open circuit and will almost always give you the thump when it reconnects.

There are 2 major switch topologies, break-before-make, (aka Non-shorting), and make-before-break, (aka Shorting).  The BBM can have noise on switching as the circuit goes open between switch positions.  MBM avoids this possibility by having a wiper that contacts the next contact before breaking contact with the previous.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:41 AM
I would always switch my power amp off.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.