DIY Audio Show in Davis, California

Cary · 4021

Offline Cary

on: March 23, 2013, 12:25:18 PM
There is a DIY show coming up in Davis, California on April 20th. I will be demonstrating my SEX amp, Fostex single driver bass reflex speakers and a Marantz CD player. Here's a link to the show:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=501865

Hope to see some Bottlehead's there!

Cary Chin
Bottlehead Ambassador

Offline drewh1

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:08 PM
Cool - I want to attend - any place for a Stereomour?

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Cary

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:08 PM
There is always room for Bottleheads! You will need to sign up and let the coordinator what you are bringing. Feel free to contact me.

Cary Chin
Bottlehead Ambassador

Offline Cary

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:51:47 PM
Here's a link to the club:

ncdiyaudio.claub.net/index.html

Offline Cary

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:52:13 AM
Only one week till the show, any other Bottlehead's planning to attend?

Offline drewh1

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:46:14 AM
I am going to try to make it. I hurt my knee and have been hobbling around so I have to see how it feels.

drew.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:23 AM
Unfortunately not this time, got a golf tourney that weekend in Fairfield I've put out money for.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Skip Pack

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:01 PM
I'm expecting to attend, bringing a couple of taller speaker stands at Charlie's request. This tends to be speaker-oriented event, so I'd love to hear some Orcas.

Skip

Offline sl-15

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:40 PM
i am trying to make it out there, too. won't be bringing anything , hope thats alright. never heard of this group before and i am curious to check it out.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline sl-15

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50:20 AM
so i went to the show in davis yesterday and it was nice to meet fellow bottlehead, cary.
he brought his good old trusted s.e.x. amp and had two very small speakers with fostex drivers that looked similar in size to the orcas from blumenstein. although i could not stay to the end of the show and only got the chance to listen to a few tunes on caries setup, it was, to my ears, the best sounding setup of the show. although there were some very impressive diy speakers showcased ranging from small to enormous, cary had the only setup that was driven with a tube amp.
and maybe that made all the difference to me. and maybe i am just biased because i am a bottlehead fan. i do not have any audiophile words for it, i only know that caries tube setup sounded more natural and pleasing to the ear. there was an effortless quality to the music. i was not trying to analyze it and listen for the characteristic of the speakers the music just immediately sounded nice. its always impressive when 2 watts and tiny speakers can achieve that. this experience makes me very curious about what some of these single driver speakers can do. maybe that needs to be next on my list after i am done tweaking my original s.e.x amps that i am working on currently. thanks cary for bringing your gear, too bad i couldn't stay longer to listen more. best, stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Cary

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:10:27 AM
Here are a couple of photos from the show. The SEX amplifier, Fostex FE-103En, and Marantz CD4005 combo was very well received. The SEX amplifier was also connected a a couple of other speakers and everyone was very impressed with the quality of sound it produced. Not bad for an unmodified amp! The second most popular item was the assembly manual, all who viewed it were amazed how simple the instructions were. It was a long show, open from 9AM to 5PM, but very fun. I also enjoyed meeting Stefan, AKA sl-15 who just purchased an original pair of SEX amps.

Next year I am thinking of bringing a Quickie, Motorola EL84 amplifier and a pair of EPI 100 speakers. This system was a proof of concept to put together a low cost, nice sounding system. Both the amp and speakers were rebuilt.

Sorry it took a while to post the photos, I still use a film camera-Leica M3.

Cary Chin
Bottlehead Ambassador

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg836%2F9463%2Fsex1r.jpg&hash=e7006b069dd4c66b56e291d6d16c2dad19e06d84)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg163%2F5981%2Fsex2d.jpg&hash=6f38b73e2e579ee8f6162451160cac96a4a73c0a)