Question on RCA Cables

onion_breath · 2927

Offline onion_breath

on: December 30, 2015, 12:06:56 PM
Hello all,

I'm currently debating which RCA cable to use from my source (phono preamp) to my eagerly anticipated Crack. Since I'm currently waiting to build my Crack I thought I'd stick with the DIY theme and make my own RCA Cables. I've found a few links online but one has stuck out that uses Cardas 21.5 x 2 cables (a quick google search for "Building an easy pair of Cardas RCA Interconnects" will get you the link). I was going to replace one side of the RCA cable with some Switchcraft Right Angle plugs as to keep a streamlined look once plugged into the Crack. I'm not sure how this will sound to something pre manufactured - but for comparison I've really liked the look and price of Ghent Audio Cables. I'm not sure if anyone has experience in Ghent and how it compares to DIY RCA cables, but I thought I'd ask. Please don't hesitate to give me other suggestions or advice as well - I am completely new to DIY audio and am looking to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:34:22 PM
RCA cables from Blue Jeans Cable are very much worth consideration. Either the LC-1 or the 89259 based RCAS are a good bet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:21:06 PM
Pretty much all my cables are from Ghent.  Excellent quality, and great looks.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline ALL212

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:10:49 AM
I've made my own - Mogami w2534 and Cardas ends.  About a $1 a foot and whatever poison you decide on for RCA's.

Aaron Luebke

Offline borism

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:37:39 AM
And if you don't want to DIY cables, you can get the Mogami w2534 with Neutrik connectors through Amazon (Worlds Best Cables) at a very reasonable price.

Boris

Offline onion_breath

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 07:38:55 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. Looks like I have many options to chose from, but after a bit of research I may just pull the trigger on the Blue Jeans LC-1.

Thanks again,
Greg

Offline Tom-s

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:28:17 PM
imo Ghent Audio cables are really worth it. I'm using a few and very happy with the quality.

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:49 PM
Having spent many, many hours trying ideas from the late lamented Allen Wright's Supercables Cookbook, I like really thin single strand wire in PTFE sleeving plaitted around a larger diameter PTFE tube. These are such a faff to make that I cast around for a commercial alternative. I now use DNM for all my new cables. DNM will sell you the cable and connectors to make your own cables up (which I do of course).

See http://www.dnm.co.uk/cablesdetail.html

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline corndog71

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:14:56 AM

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline drewh1

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:18 AM
buy some copper wire with cotton insulation from Marigo labs and make your own. I have tried numerous pre-made and diy cables and single wire copper (20 - 24) is the best for my ears.  I don't twist it, just keep the wires separate and not parallel. I also use the shortest possible interconnects.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver