Tubes recommended for 2A3 Paramount v1.1

Roger · 5778

Offline Roger

on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:34 AM
Hi
I've ordered a pair of 2A3 Paramount v1.1, and I have a few questions:
1. I have a few Bendix 6385 tubes. They have 6.3V 0.50 amp heaters. Can they be used instead of the 2C51/5670 tube?
2. I have the following 2A3 tubes: Sovtek, Golden Dragon Premium and 1953 RCA black plates. What 2A3's do you have good experience with, and how do you think mine will work?
Roger

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:36:09 AM
Roger,

1) no help from me, hopefully there are some "equivalents" in the Paramount folder.

2) I have had the Sovteks in my Paramours and NOS Blackplate RCAs as well.  I bought some 2A3Cs, ~$100 the matched pair delivered, and like them as much as anything.

The Sovteks were good sounding, I upgraded everything in the amp while listening to them and they showed me every improvement in the signal/power supply path.  Then I got the NOS Blackplates, truly an improvement!  But the 2A3Cs were awfully close to the Blackplates, not there mind you, but close.  For the price they are a great bang for the buck!

I should mention that the Paramour is not direct coupled from driver to output like the Paramount is.  The Paramount is an all out assault, iron, direct coupled, DC output tube heaters... it goes on.

So that is my two cents worth.

Offline Roger

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:48 AM
Grainger
Thanks for the input.

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:33:25 PM
The 6385 has the same pin out and is pretty close spec wise, to the 5670. Need to ask Paul if the extra filament current is available...John 

John S.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:22:51 PM
Plenty of current. Design rating is 1.2 amps, but it can do more.

Paul Joppa

Offline Roger

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try the Bendix 6385 then. It is supposed to be sort of the holy grail of 2C51/5670. Hope the kit will arrive soon. I'm ready to start the build. I think this will be a great match to my Avantgarde Duo Grosso (107 dB sensitivity) speakers.
Roger

Roger

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:42 AM
Roger,

The Bendix are nice as are most of the rest of them. If your heart is set on the Bendix send me a PM. I've got a pair and about every other pair you can name sitting around not getting used.  Mix it up and find a sound that works well for your system..

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

Offline Roger

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:25 AM
Roger,

The Bendix are nice as are most of the rest of them. If your heart is set on the Bendix send me a PM. I've got a pair and about every other pair you can name sitting around not getting used.  Mix it up and find a sound that works well for your system..

Regards,

Aaron

Thanks Aaron, but I have already more tubes than I will need for the rest of my lifetime. Maybe I'll start a tube shop...
Roger

Roger

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:21 AM
Sounds like you have a nice collection :) The Paramounts are very responsive to tube choice. I rolled quite a few through but in my system and to my ears the GE 5760's that Paul used to voice them with sounded best.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Roger

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:48:54 AM
Sounds like you have a nice collection :) The Paramounts are very responsive to tube choice. I rolled quite a few through but in my system and to my ears the GE 5760's that Paul used to voice them with sounded best.

Good, I have some GE 5star 5670, WE 396A and Ericsson 2C51 as well.
Roger

Roger