help with diy project

lizardtape · 1370

Offline lizardtape

on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:46 PM
hi. first post here. i am also new to modifying reel-to-reels, so bear with me. i thought this forum would be a good place to ask questions, because of the reel-to-reel head bypass to new electronics thing.

could someone give me some advice on this project i'm working on.

i need some playback and record circuits for a reel-to-reel head. only audio. no transport.

this is the setup. three new heads from JRF magnetics : separate erase, record, and playback of course. the exact head model and following specs will depend on which circuits i find. it is for 1/4" tape and stereo half track.

i plan on having a L & R in, L & R out, rec L button, rec R button and knobs for the volume on each of these. i believe play can just always be on, so no button needed there.

...anyways, would it be possible just to copy a Revox or some other old playback and record audio circuits? i would like to build it new myself with all new components. the reason i mention Revox is that they have those removable plug-in boards that may make isolating the circuits easier. that is what i need help with. how to exactly isolate the playback and record circuits i want to copy from the schematic and build new and power it.

thanks for any advice you can give.

-Caleb

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:24:16 PM
We offer a kit for playback called the Eros Tape Head Preamp. For record electronics you might want to clone an old Ampex circuit.

http://bottlehead.com/product/eros-tape-head-preamplifier-kit/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline lizardtape

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:13:15 AM
That looks great, but it is out of my price range. I'm probably not going to use tubes. I would like to just copy a circuit from an old reel-to-reel. My problem is separating the playback and record circuits from the rest of the unneeded schematic. Any ideas?

-Caleb

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:49:25 AM
I would try on Tapeheads.net:

http://www.tapeheads.net/index.php