Crack upgrade and demolition progression advice

Sh7eleven · 3252

Offline Sh7eleven

on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:57 AM
In considering future upgrades for the crack I was looking at the production pictures for the speedball and it looks like it gets more crowded underneath. Not having a lot of experience, would it be easier to install new output caps then the speedball - or would new caps make it more difficult to install the speedball? It looks from the picture that the caps are different size - or at least their angle need to be adjusted to accommodate the boards. (I don't plan on putting in any outrageously sized caps...for now.)

My stubby fingers thank you for your advice in advance.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:58:04 AM
I installed mine beforehand but most upgrade with speedball first then caps afterward.  Speedball doesnt really get in the way.  The caps are generally installed about the same location by most folks.  The larger speedball board is still narrower than the terminal strips so it isnt the limiting factor in space for caps.  And the two smaller boards install where caps wont fit.   It mainly the wiring that probably makes it easier to do the caps afterwards.  That and the natural progression of upgrades which, as I stated, seems to usually be speedball before caps.   Speedball does have a larger impact on sonics.

Below is a link to my gallery thread, you can see the cap and speedball layout.  Take a look at different members Crack build in the gallery as well.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

Desmond G.

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:25:13 AM
thanks for the insight!

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:30:44 AM
As a fellow "stubby fingered" guy I understand your concern.  I have pulled up the Speedball page on another tab and it is clearly narrower yet over the output caps.  I'd upgrade the caps first just to make the inboard two connections easier.  

However, the Speedball is probably on wires that are longer than necessary.  If so, then you can unscrew the Speedball board and move it out of the way for output cap installation.

Somewhere Paul Joppa has suggested that if you go for a film cap on Crack's output you need not get as large a value as is stock.  I don't really know if 90% or 80% or 70% is a good substitution.  A search will find some guidelines.

Enjoy the music!

Offline dwilli852

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:22 AM
It's not a problem to move the Speedball board out of the way for the output cap upgrade. I'd do the Speedball first the output caps didn't make that much a improvement.

David Williams

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:07 AM
I thought it might be but I'm pretty fat fingered myself.

A quick look, there are 75uF, 82uF and 91uF Solens available for $26-$32.

It is my humble opinion that substituting another electrolytic for the output cap would be a waste of cash.  Shoot!  A KK PIO would be an improvement over the electrolytic, but they are not that high in values.  Maybe a KK PIO bypass of the stock caps?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:45:52 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:12 AM
Cool, thanks guys.  I'll probably go with the Speedball first if the boards have some flexibility to be moved.  Or I can train my fingers to be more slender. Alas, I think I will never be a classical pianist. 

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline dwilli852

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 03:37:58 PM
It's not a problem to move the Speedball board out of the way for the output cap upgrade. I'd do the Speedball first the output caps didn't make that much of a improvement.

David Williams

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:32 PM
yep, I'm going to follow your suggestion - Because (not if) the boards can be moved, thanks!
It's not a problem to move the Speedball board out of the way for the output cap upgrade. I'd do the Speedball first the output caps didn't make that much of a improvement.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Laudanum

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:37 PM
It's not a problem to move the Speedball board out of the way for the output cap upgrade. I'd do the Speedball first the output caps didn't make that much a improvement.

I found that the Mundorf MKP's made a nice improvement.  I did my caps before Speedball.  Maybe post speedball it isnt quite as notable.  But I do agree that Speedball has a bigger impact for sure.   Of course, mileage may vary.

I kept my wires just a little longer than the manual when installing speedball,  maybe 1/2 inch or a hair more.  But make sure you have enough included wire first if you choose to do the same.  I did it to allow me a little more slack to move the boards if I needed to.  I've taken advantage of it a couple of time so glad I did it.  There is enough to move them around a little following the wire lengths in the manual,  but a little extra gives some leeway and shouldnt affect anything negatively.

Desmond G.

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:37 PM
cool, I will try adding a little bit of extra wire to give me some more room, thanks!

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended