HELP! Background noise!

SNSDluv · 3329

Offline SNSDluv

on: January 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Crack as a serious upgrade and using it with Schiit Modi (Both bought new). I am using it with my HD700(it happens with any other headphones I have tried, including iPhone stock earphones...) Right now, I can hear a very slight, but present background noise, nothing acute, just a static humming in the background. Also, around every 20 seconds, it will have this "tik tik tik tik..." sound in the background. There is this also zzzzz sound from time to time. I have no idea which part is the problem. Some have told me it is the tubes that are too old? I have cleaned the pin of the tubes and the background noise decreased a little bit, but it is still present and it bothers me a lot...
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Regards,
HC
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:51:44 PM by SNSDluv »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:57 PM
I have found all the noise issues I have experienced with my own Crack have been due to outside influences and not the Crack. The last one was a slight background static buzz that was present intermittently only while music was being streamed from a pc and not ipad so I thought it was a computer issue. It turned out to be a thermostatically controlled electric oil radiator in another room in the house as it tripped in and out on the thermostat. Try and rule out as much outside interference as you can before going under the hood.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:54 AM
Also, around every 20 seconds, it will have this "tik tik tik tik..." sound in the background. There is this also zzzzz sound from time to time. I have no idea which part is the problem. Some have told me it is the tubes that are too old? I have cleaned the pin of the tubes and the background noise decreased a little bit, but it is still present and it bothers me a lot...
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
Hello HC,

This sounds a lot like interference from your cellphone.  If you turn your phone completely off, does this help?
After performing this test, try listening with the volume control all the way down.

A lot of other noise issues can be resolved by cleaning tube pins and reheating suspect solder joints. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:26 PM
I have found all the noise issues I have experienced with my own Crack have been due to outside influences and not the Crack. The last one was a slight background static buzz that was present intermittently only while music was being streamed from a pc and not ipad so I thought it was a computer issue. It turned out to be a thermostatically controlled electric oil radiator in another room in the house as it tripped in and out on the thermostat. Try and rule out as much outside interference as you can before going under the hood.

Thanks for the help! I don't think it's outside interference. I have actually moved since I got the bottlehead Crack so it's been like this for two houses...

Also, around every 20 seconds, it will have this "tik tik tik tik..." sound in the background. There is this also zzzzz sound from time to time. I have no idea which part is the problem. Some have told me it is the tubes that are too old? I have cleaned the pin of the tubes and the background noise decreased a little bit, but it is still present and it bothers me a lot...
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
Hello HC,

This sounds a lot like interference from your cellphone.  If you turn your phone completely off, does this help?
After performing this test, try listening with the volume control all the way down.

A lot of other noise issues can be resolved by cleaning tube pins and reheating suspect solder joints. 

Thanks for the help! I tried that and the issue is still present... :(

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:41:44 PM
Have you tried a different set of tubes?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:04 AM
Have you tried a different set of tubes?

No, I only got one set, I am looking to get another set so I can compare.

I think there is a wifi interference. When I turn off my wifi connecting to my laptop, the noise goes down. Also, it seems like it is making noise from the computer data, almost like the some of the noise is the transfer of data. When I open a large file, web browser, or a video on Youtube, there is an increase in the volume of the noise.

Offline ffivaz

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:26 AM
Just one thought, does it do the same without your Schiit Modi plugged in? I once had similar noises, and the problem was the laptop-to-DAC connexion. I connected the DAC to another laptop (or computer) and it was dead silent. Can you try your Modi on another Computer and/or connect it to another amp? And test the Crack with volume, but without any input (or with shorting plugs)?

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:18 AM

I think there is a wifi interference. When I turn off my wifi connecting to my laptop, the noise goes down. Also, it seems like it is making noise from the computer data, almost like the some of the noise is the transfer of data. When I open a large file, web browser, or a video on Youtube, there is an increase in the volume of the noise.

This would fall under the test of "does it make any noise with the volume control all the way down and nothing connected to it".

If it passes that test, it's likely what's plugged into it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:00 PM
Just one thought, does it do the same without your Schiit Modi plugged in? I once had similar noises, and the problem was the laptop-to-DAC connexion. I connected the DAC to another laptop (or computer) and it was dead silent. Can you try your Modi on another Computer and/or connect it to another amp? And test the Crack with volume, but without any input (or with shorting plugs)?

This would fall under the test of "does it make any noise with the volume control all the way down and nothing connected to it".

If it passes that test, it's likely what's plugged into it.

Thanks so much for the help guys! :D

Toggling the volume: The noise does depend on the volume. However, the noise does not go away if I mute/0% my volume on my laptop and turn down the Crack.

Unplugging from laptop but DAC+AMP chain(DAC doesn't not have additional power sour so it should be turn off): a noticable noise increase on the left side(a new noise, a light not very high pitched humming).

Only AMP is connected: Noise increased by a lot on both sides. A not very high pitched hizzing/humming. And this time the noise level varies with volume toggle, but at zero volume there is still noise.

I don't have a spare computer(will be getting a new laptop in a week or so) or another amp, so I cannot really test it out...
thanks guys... >< this is very frustrating D:

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 01:47:16 AM
One question, how close are the computer and DAC from the Crack?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:56:23 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 03:43:26 PM
One question, how close are the computer and DAC from the Crack?

Right beside it, 10cm... ><

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 02:27:18 AM
I have no idea if this has been said before in this thread, computers (including cell phones and DACs) radiate noise that most tubes will pick up.

The noise drops with the square of the distance, move them apart.

Test this.  Turn off your computer, DAC and phone.  Turn the Crack volume control all the way down.  It should be quiet.  If so, the Crack is fine.

Turn on your phone, check for noise.  Turn on the computer and check for nose.  Turn on the DAC and check for noise.  You will find out which one or ones are the offenders.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:51:23 AM by Grainger49 »