EROS vs ANK L3 phono

dusk · 1850

Offline dusk

on: September 03, 2015, 09:42:38 AM
I have a vintage Thorens 160 super with an SME m2-9 tone arm and an Ortofon 2M bronze (which im debating upgrading to black).

I am loving my setup, but using the phono stage of my Rogue Sphinx integrated... it's time for another DIY kit, and I think I'll start with the phono stage.

First off, will the eros work in my current MM system?  I want to be able to tube roll, and I plan on archiving my record collection (which is in the thousands), which will take a few years.  I want a good solid foundation to start ripping on, and I feel my phono stage is the weakest link right now.

Has anyone heard the ANK L3 phono and can compare it to the Eros?  That is another kit I'm looking at, though it's about 1000 dollars more...  What will the Eros add to my system?

Thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:15 AM
The Eros uses a very similar circuit to that used in our $7500 Tube Phono. One of those was used by one of our clients to archive a ~30,000 LP classical collection to high res files using a Pyramix system. The archiving process took him 5 years. MM will be fine with Eros, tube rolling is very possible and can be rewarding with this design (e.g., take the extra grand you would spend on the AN and buy some Telefunkens instead). So Eros should do the job for you.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.