stereomour speakers

aragorn723 · 3829

Offline aragorn723

on: February 12, 2015, 04:13:21 PM
What are a good set of speakers for the stereomour?

Dave

Offline Daikini

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:15:48 PM
Mine does nicely with Klipsch Heresy II's and a pair of subs.... but I wouldn't want to use these speakers without the subs.  Their lack of low end leaves me wishing I had sprung for Klipsch Cornwalls instead...

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:40:15 PM
Yeah, the Cornwall has been well-liked since the first Paramour version, now 15 years old.

Of course the original poster may want something less like a freezer in size ...

Paul Joppa

Offline Thoburn

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:10:53 PM
What are a good set of speakers for the stereomour?

Dave

I built Lowther Medallion cabinets for Lowther DX-4 drivers. I made them a little taller and put down firing 12 inch Rythmik servo subs in the bottom. They have their own amps driven from the Stereomour outputs. I think they are amazing with the Stereomour.  Granted, they are not inexpensive, but you really should hear them. Talk to Jon Ver Halen at Lowther America.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Bob

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 07:32:37 PM
Dave,

I completed my Stereomour about 4 months or so ago and have been using a pair of Cornwalls (1984) - even with a very live room, all wood/glass/stone, wood floors, 18-24 foot ceilings of wood, very limited damping with furniture and rugs - they have performed just beautiful. My listening position is usually 10-12 feet.

When using my Reduction as input, my listening volume is usually around the 11-1 o'clock position depending on the type of music I am enjoying. Strings, Jazz, Female vocals sound really sweet through the Cornwalls. I recently completed an Intergration upgrade to my Reduction and the bass and mid range improved significantly. Highly recommended upgrade if you are using a reduction phono preamp.

When using my Mac Mini/DAC as input, playing mainly AIFF files (24/96), my listening volume is usually around the 9-11 o'clock position. Again the Stereomour performs very well with Cornwalls.

Now having said that, about a 8 weeks or so ago, I ordered a pair of Orca Minis and the Dungeness Max from Clark at Blumenstein Audio. I received the Minis first and ran them with my S.E.X. amp in my office space and immediately fell in love with Orca minis - so much so - that I found myself listening to the Orca's more frequently. My listening position was near field (about 3 feet).

I received my Dungeness Max a couple of weeks ago and put it in my S.E.X. system and frankly was blown away by the combination. As result of that --- I had to try it out with my Stereomour. Oh man was I surprised, even with a large room, slightly lower listening volume - I have to say I am loving the Orca Minis / Dungeness Max combination with my Stereomour. If you enjoy Strings, Nina, Female Vocals, you will absolutely love the Orca Minis.

In fact, I think so highly of them, after recently discussing with Clark, I have ordered another pair of Mini's and I have ordered and anxiously am awaiting a BeePree 300B and Paramount 300B kit.

In the end, I will be  comparing my Stereomour with the Paramount setup between the Orca Minis and Cornwalls to decide my final setups -- I have already decided that there is nothing better (IMHO) for the S.E.X. than the Orca minis.

In my view you can't go wrong with a pair of Cornwalls or the Orca Minis/Dungeness Max (you need the Dungeness with the Stereomour) -- But if I had to chose only 1, I would have to go with the Orca mini setup. Give Clark a call at Blumenstein, I find his feedback to very helpful. Good luck. 

Bob
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:46:20 PM by Bob »

Bob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:15:08 AM
   .  .  .    Of course the original poster may want something less like a freezer in size ... 

There is a lot of information needed to give a recommendation.  I mean, we all could throw in with our favorite speaker.

But, first, how large is your room, how far do you sit from the speakers, then how loud do you listen and what kinds of music do you listen to?

Oh, yes, how much do you want to spend?

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:57:53 AM
Hi Grainger,

My room is 13 X 18, and filled with a lot of stuff (mostly kid toys).  It is pretty well damped from being so full.  Usually I sit around 8 ft away or so, and enjoy a lot of different kinds of music-jazz, popular, country, rock.  Not sure how to answer the part about how loud, usually i'm limited by having the wife and son around  8)  I would say my taste in volume is in the moderate range.  As far as price, maybe $4-500?

Dave

Offline Paully

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 01:29:52 PM
At $4-500 might I recommend a Klipsch Forte or Chorus (big speakers but the room sounds big) for a turn-key solution?  Just a thought.  I loved my Chorus II when I had them and they get overlooked so you might be able to find them in your price range.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:06 PM
How about the current series Klipsch stuff?  The Reference RF-52 II looks interesting.  Are the new models good too?

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:25 AM
Dave,

Your room is just marginally smaller than mine.  I have my Orcas out 1/3 of the way into the room, I sit about 8-10 feet away and about that distance from the wall behind my listening chair (La-Z-Boy recliner).

Paully can attest that I have rocked the house with the Orcas and Paramours (monoblock, less sophisticated, Stereomour).  He was outside talking to his wife and I was playing Taiko music upstairs. 

The Orcas are small, but the sound is the point of them.  I have two Dungeness subs. 

The Orcas Mini is $400 a pair and Orca Classics are $500.

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:43:02 AM
Hi Grainger,

How do you find the Orca/dungeness combo?  Do they blend well together?  I have tried setting up subs with small main speakers, but haven't had much luck.  Guess the crossover frequency has to be a little higher (to my ear a lower one sounds better).  I'm curious about your tweeter setup too, how did you cross those over?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 07:21:15 AM
Yes, the Orcas and Dungeness subs blend very well.  The Dungeness subs are made to match and supplement the Orcas.

When I set them up I went with Clark's suggestions for the crossover and volume settings.  Then I played with them up and down and I think I settled with one right on the suggested setting and one 1/4 of a mark above it.

All I did was listen to music that I know very well, adjust a little and listen more.  When I discovered I didn't want to move the settings I assumed that this was right, at least for me.

I added the T90-A tweeters a year ago.  I went mad crossing them over.  First, I had a hand full of caps from 0.1uF to 2.0uF.  It is impossible to zero in on the right crossover point when you are changing from KK PIO to Teflon V-Caps.  The character is so different.  So I enlisted Paully to make some judgements, his ears are much younger than mine. 

Now I'm using the KK 2.0uF K-10 with KK Teflon 0.01uF as a bypass.  The best thing was to jump to the 2.0uF and use an L-Pad to tweak it in.  By then I had settled on the crossover value and the capacitor makeup.

If you decide to do this bring liquor and a friend with good ears.

Offline docbob52

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:43 AM
Granger, where did you place your Dungeness subs.  Thank you.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:49:35 AM
I ended up with them just inside the Orcas/stands.  They touch the stands and I tried to align the front of the Orca enclosures with the front of the Dungeness enclosures.

Offline docbob52

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 12:46:22 PM
Granger,

What are the dimensions of your room and how far apart are your Orcas?  The reason I ask is that I am trying to set my room up in proportion as yours is as a new start.   I followed Clark B.s set up instructions with the classic Orcas 2' out in the listening room and the subs directly behind them with the back out of the Subs 6" out from the wall and it is not nearly as good as it was previously when I had them siting on the mantle without the speaker stands.  I re-aranged my room drastically to put the Orcas in a different location. My room is 14'4' long by 13'6" wide with the speakers on short wall.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.