good stereo switch recommendation needed

denti alligator · 5087

Offline denti alligator

on: January 22, 2011, 05:20:49 AM
I have three stereo inputs I switch between frequently to go into my SEX amp. I would like to get a simply but effective switch that does not in any way interfere with the signal. Recommendations? I can only find things like this or this, but these look awfully 'cheap.' Don;t get me wrong, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I fear for the quality of my signals with such devices. Should I set aside my worries or is there something else I might consider?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50:13 AM
DIY it man! Buy a four pole three position switch, four pairs of RCA jacks, some wire and box to house it in. If you want to go fancy use a Goldpoint switch and Ohno continuous cast wire in an aluminum box. If you want to go bang for the buck use a Lorlin switch and some Belden shielded twisted pair cable like we use. Wiring it up is pretty straightforward, the four pole switch gives you a hot and cold pole for each channel, so you switch signal and ground at the same time - that helps to avoid ground loops and popping.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:17:13 PM
Great idea, Doc, except that I'm a pathetic novice and would need someone to tell me step by step what to do. Just trying to find the Lorlin switch you mention is no easy feat for me (in fact, I failed at it).

For now I'm just going to manually switch out the cables...

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Brillo

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:15:56 PM
The folks at Goldpoint actually offer a couple switching devices pre-built.  They're not particularly cheap, but they appear to be high-quality pieces.  Worth a peak - perhaps they'll fit the bill.

Chris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:09 PM
My suggestion is to buy the $10 switcher and try it.  It shouldn't have really harm the sound.  But if it does you have only wasted a little cash.  The second one for $20 is not going to be hugely better, probably not worse either.

Offline JC

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
Or, look for something in that price range at Radio Shack or Best Buy.  Then, if you thought it was unacceptably detrimental to the sound, you would at least be able to return it somewhat conveniently.

Jim C.

Offline bobster

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:28:32 PM
If I understand, this should be a non-shorting switch - something like this http://www.ace4parts.com/Products/4-Pole--3-Position--Non-Shorting---Rotary-Switch__30-15403.aspx - for making my own?

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:13:09 PM
Three makes it a bit trickier but not bad.  If you had two, you could use a 4PDT toggle switch which is really easy.  On those, the center is where you connect the input and either side you just match up top to bottom and that is A/B. Just remember to put the left position outside on the right on the inside or it will appear backwards when you switch (this makes sense when you have it in front of you). 

For a rotary switch, you have to think in terms of pieces of pie with the circle divided into four pieces of pie and the center being the input switching to each of the four areas. As the switch rotates from 1 to 2 to 3, it moves each of the four center connections to the corresponding connection, so all the #1s are on at once, or all the #2s are on, or all the #3s are on.  Here is a diagram that helps you think about it graphically. 

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawthorneaudio.com%2Fphotos%2Falbums%2Fuserpics%2F11473%2Fnormal_4p3t_connection-1.jpg&hash=3384eceed9bcc510e60555846039615deb34f306)

Here is a rotary switch you could look at (others have been posted that are less expensive):
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CKC7008-ND

I say go for it and post up if you have trouble figuring it out!

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline bainjs

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:55:02 PM
Sam:

I used this switch from Radio Shack for my Quickie: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062536

By the time it was finished probably $15 - $20 was spent. To your concern for quality, I can hear no difference in the audio and even though there is a common ground, there are no pops when switching inputs.

If your interested, I'd be happy to send you the parts list and the wiring diagram. I assume you have a multimeter since you built your SEX amp. You can do this!

Joel

Joel Bain

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56:36 AM
Sam, I have been using switches by John Broskie in most of my reciently built projects .  They are extremely easy to hook up due to the excellent quality PCB.  Highly recommend!!!

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/inseswandpcb.html

Cordially,
Lee Hankins

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Wrinkles

• Michael
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:10 AM
Joel,

It has been a while since I visited The Bottlehead Forum. Shame on me.

I am interested in your list of materials and wiring diagram.

Would you please send a copy to me?

Thankyou,
Wrinkles

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:56:16 PM
I'm repeating a previous question, but would a shorting or non-shorting switch be preferable?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:53:12 PM
Non-shorting.  That could damage a source.  

You might go with make before break, it keeps down noise.

Offline JC

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 02:11:30 PM
Yes, make-before-break is what you're looking for in an input selector.  At least, that's the way I've always understood it.  You don't want it to short any sources, but you also want to avoid a momentary "open" input on an amp while moving the switch from one source to the next.  I would think this might be a particularly  undesirable state if you are switching grounds as well as signals, but I have never actually tried that part.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:16:26 PM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 05:30:44 PM
Ok, we haven't covered this in EE250 yet, but shorting switches are the same as make-before-break?

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp