good stereo switch recommendation needed

denti alligator · 5089

Offline JC

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 07:18:56 PM
Well, that's the way I learned it, anyway.

If you care to spend some time, the link has a lot of info:

http://www.electro-nc.com/faq.shtml

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 05:53:09 AM
In the parts catalogs, shorting (S) and nonshorting (NS) refer to make-before-break and make-after-break respectively. I am not aware of a different specific term for switches that short unused inputs; that might not be good for the source device. Sometimes source selectors are arranged with an extra step between sources, which is grounded - this provides a bit of shielding between adjacent sources to prevent signal leakage. I don't think there's an unequivocal choice of switch type; at least I can think of potential disadvantages to every arrangement I can imagine.

Paul Joppa

Offline JC

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:09:55 AM
Oh, thank goodness someone else has it the same!  When it comes to nomenclature and descriptions, I'm never sure that there isn't an opposing "school" of thought!

You know, my formerly tall stack of parts catalogs has dwindled over the years because of the internet, but I often turned to them for just such questions.  I'm glad to see that at least some parts manufacturers are keeping the information tradition alive in their electronic publishing.

IOW, I picked up a couple of tidbits browsing the link I hung up above, and I'm an old guy!

Jim C.