Cat5 Speaker Cables

dbishopbliss · 6409

Offline dbishopbliss

on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:53 AM
The Mid-Atlantic Bottlenecks are going to have a speaker wire comparison at the end of October. In short, we are trying to determine what differences we can hear - not necessarily what sounds best.  You can read more about it here.

I want to try making different speaker cables using Cat5.  There are a number of different "recipes" on the web, and I might try a few of my own.  Belden #1585A seems to be the Cat5 that most people recommend.

I have found sites that sell the cable by the foot, but generally they charge a premium ($0.51/foot).  On the other hand, I have found a 1000' spool for roughly $0.25/foot including shipping costs.

I don't need 1000' feet of cable.  Are there folks who have wanted to experiment with Cat5 cables that would be willing to buy my left-overs for cost?  If so, then I will order the 1000' spool.  If not, then I will have to think of an alternative source.

P.S.  Doc said it was OK for me to make this offer.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:37 AM
David,  I have 3 rolls of Cat 6 Lucent Systimax-SCS GigaSpeed Cable # 662742100532.  Two boxes are unopened and the third has approximately 750-800' left on it.  The reels are 24 lbs, unopened box would be slightly heavier.  You are welcome to one of the reels at no cost except the for freight from Homer, Alaska 99603.  I have spent hours braiding this cable plus a similar plenum blue cat 5 cable, the blue cables outer cover is more flexable, the Lucent cable is black and alot stiffer than the plenum cable.

Cordially,
Lee Hankins

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:48:22 PM
What are the dimensions of a box?  I could pay for priority mail if, "The maximum size is 108 inches or less in combined length and distance around the thickest part."  Then it would arrive next week giving me a month or so to braid. Sending Parcel post would be cheaper, but the package wouldn't arrive until Mid-October.

Any idea what the insulation is?  I think the reason the Belden 1585A is so popular is because it is FEP.  Supposedly that is better than PVC but I think the geometries will make more of a difference than insulation.

If its not FEP, maybe someone will donate some 1585A cable so we can compare the different insulations to determine if we can hear a difference.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:26 PM
The box is 10"x 10"x 13".  Checking on insulation.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:27 PM
Outer black jacket is PVC, and the wire insulation is FEP, I hope that this information is correct.

Lee Hankins

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:56 PM
Hi Lee,

Do you know what brand/model the blue stuff you tried was?

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. -- David, I've made some interconnects and speaker cables with cat5/6 and the FEP vs PVC does indeed make a difference.  Go for the FEP if you can.  BTW, CAT5 an above has to be OFC or better to meet the spec.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:14:53 PM
Jim, here is was is written on the blue outer cover.  GENERAL CABLE L NPP/CMP (UL) C(UL) 4PR 24 AWG PLENUM VERIFIED CAT5-CAT5e 03 99 211350J2  then the footage.  It is my understand the Plenum cable has FEP outer cover and FEP insulation on the wire.

Lee Hankins

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:24:20 PM
Lee,

Thanks much -- I have a little researxch to do...

As for plenum rating, it does mean FEP insulation -- that was the idea -- something that would not catch fire so easily.  Of course if it does burn the fluorine gas will be deadly or at least cause severe neurological damage.  Or you could use PVC (not plenum rated) and inhale chlorine gas instead. :-) ... or you could use hemp insulation and...

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:51 PM
The cables I made are Belden 1585 but I striped the outer jacket off. Once striped, I rope twisted the the 4 pairs together then braided 3 ropes together. Cat5 is very easy to rope twist as the pairs want to lay that way as they are. The braiding was a bitch.

The resulting cable, I thought sounded fine but I always thought it was a lot of wire for SET amps and single drivers.  

I have some of the same cable left. I had planed to make a set from just one run, or maybe just half...John  

John S.

Offline VoltSecond

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:00 PM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteswithstyle.com%2Fvoltsecond%2Fcat_5_speaker_cable%2F4_braid_left_1_33.jpg&hash=8276ca80d9fcb3466413d6992e74ee9f1194a10d)

Cat 5 speaker cables do work well. 

I've also used a single Cat 5 twisted pair for a RCA interconnect.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:40:56 AM
Someone please reply to Lee's very kind offer below:
David,  I have 3 rolls of Cat 6 Lucent Systimax-SCS GigaSpeed Cable # 662742100532.     .  .  .   You are welcome to one of the reels at no cost except the for freight from Homer, Alaska 99603. 

Cordially,
Lee Hankins

What I can't imagine is braiding all those wires.  (below)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.siteswithstyle.com%2Fvoltsecond%2Fcat_5_speaker_cable%2F4_braid_left_1_33.jpg&hash=8276ca80d9fcb3466413d6992e74ee9f1194a10d)

Cat 5 speaker cables do work well. 

I've also used a single Cat 5 twisted pair for a RCA interconnect.

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 06:37:34 AM
Grainger, everything has been taken care of, I just have to get to the Post Office and send the box to David.  I am quite under the weather right now but should be able to get the package on its way by Saturday, if not today will a little help from friends.

Cordially,
Lee Hankins
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:54:09 AM by Lee Hankins »

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:35 AM
I sent Lee an email with my details. 

Lee, I'm not sure if I lost your reply in my Spam folder or if you haven't felt well enough to ask for payment.  Please let me know where to send the money.  You can either PM me on the forum or reply to my email again.

Thanks for contributing to this project.

David B Bliss

Offline corndog71

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:40 AM
I've experimented with cat5 wires in the past.  I thought they sounded good at first but over time they never quite matched my Kimber 4TC.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 03:09:13 AM
Not sure if you read the other thread about the Mid Atlantic Bottleneck's speaker cable comparison.  We aren't necessarily trying to find the "best" sounding speaker cable.  We are trying to see what differences between cables we can hear.  That's why I want to make 5 different cable geometries using 6 pieces of cat5 (or cat6 as it may be) each.

David B Bliss